We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Hi Friends! I'll be going to Playa del Carmen beginning of April, and really need some good advice on which ruins are the best for a first timer. I'm staying at an all inclusive with a friend, theres two of us, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg trying to visit the ruins if I can avoid it with some good advice, from people who have been through the whole experience. Any advice you could give me would be awesome!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Tulum. Doesn't sound like you're invested enough to take a bus 2 hours to go to Chichen Itza. Maybe the Tulum Coba combo tour if it is still offered.

If you're at all mildly adventurous you can do Tulum on your own by bus from Playa, or take a tour to make it easier. You will have more control and spend a lot less if you DIY, but tours in Mexico are usually very reasonably priced, even with the AI tour desk mark-up.

SuitcaseReady.com

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Of course I am invested in taking the entire day if needed! I have it worked into my trip to dedicate an entire day to the ruins. If it takes 2 hours to get there, thats fine. Its nice to know the tours are reasonably priced. thanks!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

I also vote for Tulum. Super gorgeous. Lots of structures. Added bonus is the magnificent sea. A sensory overload!!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
300 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

I agree--a Tulum-Coba combo tour would give you two different, but related, Mayan ruins experiences.

You could either go on a small (van instead of bus) tour or rent a car and do it on your own. The roads are good and then you could also visit a cenote or two. It would basically take all day.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Tulum has a lovely setting overlooking the sea but is is a late post classic ruins with small temples and little sculpture or decoration. It is also over run with crowds who come down in buses from Cancun. I suggest Coba which is a larger site a more jungle setting which shows a better range of Mayan architecture and being a bigger site is not overun with tourists. You can stop off at Tulum later in the day and maybe the crowds will have dwindled. Go down the beach road and have a drink and a swim at a beach club for a nice day excursion.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

If you can work out a Tulum/Coba tour that would be great. Cabo you can climb the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan & at Tulum you can swim at the beach that looks like a Corona commercial, white sand blue water. If not go to Chichen Itza the most amazing & largest Maya ruins in the Yucatan. CI is sorta like a tornado, you gotta see it at least one time.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/7eb84/

New York
Level Contributor
716 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Go for the best Chichen Itza. It took us more than 2hours to get there though!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Chichen Itza is one of the 7 Wonders of the modern world. One of the seven! Check out Yucatreks www.yucatreks.com It's a long day and they will make it easy and most informative. They will make it memorable. You will remember it for the rest of your life. Tulum you can do on your own, but it sounds like you want the best.

United States
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

We used Yukatreks for a ruin tour to Chichen Itza and Ek Balum

And.....another day we used Yukatreks for Coba and Tulum

Both were private tours, great in and out timing, Yukatreks guide was very knowledgeable of ruin history and fun, extra stops along the way if we wanted, all entrance fees paid, snacks and drinks provided as well as a fabulous Yukatan buffet lunch! I highly recommend them!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
66 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time in Mexico, Must visit Best Ruins!

Some friends of mine did a tour with Altournative Tours in Playa. They went to Coba in a van, visited a Mayan village, and had a very good lunch. These are very discerning folks and I was impressed that they were impressed. I have rented cars and done all the nearby ig bruins (Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza, and Ek Balaam). Chichen Itza is the most touristed and big. Tulum is the closest to Playa. Chichen Itza and Ek Balaam are the most far away. The roads to all of them are good and pretty well marked. I like Tulum because it's easy to do and when I go I include the beach (check out Playa Paraiso beach club). Coba is nice because it's more in the jungle with better shade (Tulum is edge of a cliff looking out on the ocean - great view) where Chichen Itza is much more cleared out. Hire a guide at Coba. They will give you more info than you want for very little and they are Mayan. By the way, check around where you are staying. There seem to be ruins all over the place. Playacar has some within the property.