We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Mayan Prison

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Mayan Prison

If you have any questions...

Summary of my visit to the Mayan Palace.

The rooms are very comfortable air conditioning is awesome! We stayed in building #8 close to lobby. Maid and bellhop service is excellent. Food service is slow, but the food was good.

Selective air conditioning -There is NO air conditioning in the lobby, or most of the restaurants.You are left to boil!

Air conditioning is free flowing in the Time Share Shark's sales room and bathrooms. Go figure?

Check out is 10AM It can be a miserable experience if you have to sit in the lobby for more than 30 minutes, waiting for the shuttle. If you have an afternoon flight you are SOL with no other place to go. We cooled off in the bathrooms.

The pool is family friendly hung out there until I saw all the black mold growing in between the tiles. Even worse a guy with snorkel gear was scrubbing the tiles down during my swim! Nasty mold floating around ewww!

The beach area is awful, I was warned by most of you, I tried to have a postive outlook but listen to this...

The first night we arrived we took a stroll down to the beach. Needless to say it was as awful as described. I decided to collect seashells, and after about 20 minutes or so my husband is screaming for me get out of the water! A 4 ft CROCODILE was less than 3 feet away from me. So the rest of the evening we were croc hunting, My husband wanted to be the new croc hunter and catch it. DUH! yeah right. After that I had no desire to get in the water. The beach has rocks all over it and it stinks. Dead sea urchins, old tires, and seaweed help the special aroma only you can experience at the Mayan Palace.

If you want to drink, lay by the dirty pool, and get up at 6AM in hopes of getting a cabana with a bed, this is the place for you!

If you want a nice beach and not feel like a prisoner so far away from everything, go elsewhere.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

Wow, we just back as well and didn't experience any of those problems. The outdoor restaurant by the pool, obviously doesn't have a.c. But the bar and restaurant upstairs (can't remember the name) did I'm pretty sure because we never felt uncomfortable.

There were 2 mornings we didn't get down to the pool until 8 or 8:30 and got beds both days.

We didn't have a croc experience. Yes the beach is rocky but my son and I enjoyed the little tide pools because there were all kinds of fish and crabs, etc. I know they are working on it to make it better.

We also had our own car so we never had to wait around for transportation. Sorry to hear about your experience. We loved it. We can't wait to go back next year. We live in such an arid climate here that the heat and humidity are a nice change for us - but then again, we don't have to go home to it either!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

The italian restaurant has air because it is indoors, but where the majority of folks eat, buffet and pool bar is outside and uncomfortable, atleast for my husband and I. ( I stated in my post Most of the restaurants)

I live in a very Hot climate, However as you stated you don't have to go back to it. A lot of folks must enjoy the heat being from cold areas, cause there wasn't a shortage of people out walking around in it!

I am spoiled and used to a beach in pefect condition, cause I love the ocean. I was disapointed in the beach and it will take a very long time to get it in better condition. Even then I won't return because I will stay elsewhere in Cancun or Playa del Carmen where the beach is pefect.

The Mayan would be better if the beach was nice. Such a shame a nice resort with a terrible piece of beach. The crocodile incident was reported. Glad you didn't experience it. It really freaked us out.

We ended up renting a car and our trip improved instantly. Lucky for us we were able to afford this luxury. We went to Playa del Carmen, Mamitas beach, Cozumel, Cancun and Tulum. In Tulum we had a beach all to ourselves in perfect condition!

We enjoyed our room at Mayan and the service, no complaints in that area. The pool area did have a worker cleaning it with snorkel gear while I was swimming it in. Black mold in between the tiles everywhere. I found that really gross.

I enjoyed my stay once we were able to get away, and will visit the Yucatan again in March or April. July is too hot for us.

I'm glad you and your family had a great time. Everyone has different tastes and opinions, and that is what makes the world so interesting.I'm glad I experienced it, and that I learned from it.

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

Teebaby,

If it makes you feel better we got back from the Catalonia Rivera Maya and we were expecting a nice beach, too. My husband said we should have just gone to South Padre Island, because the beach is by far better. We had a very rocky beach with seaweed that was not even long or wide or like powder. At South Padre the beach is not rocky the sand is soft, and it is long and wide. You know it is bad when you can honestly, say Texas beaches are better!

After our recent trip, we just don't think Mexico is all that great a place to visit anymore.

I think we will just go to the Virgin Islands or drive to South Padre, which takes just a much time to get there from Texas as Playa with the transfers. Best of all you can drink the water and eat the food without getting sick. We all got sick there and were still sick a week later.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

I really enjoyed Cancun pre Wilma, the only reason I stayed at the Mayan Palace was because I was unable to stay where we normally stay, The Sheraton. It has been demolished due to excessive hurrricane damage. The beach there was incredible!

I thought I would try something new and it was a good price. (employee has a time share) Now my rule is: "Go with what you know"

In Mexico you can get sick if you're not careful. I live in Texas too, but I still love the azul ocean, I can't get enough of it! I will go back to Cancun next year and stay where I KNOW they have a beautiful beach, won't make the same mistake again!

Everyone raves about this resort, however my opinion about this resort is: It is average, nothing special. Air conditioning in common public areas was a major issue for my husband and I. Th resort is far away from everything. A rental is required. In Cancun shops, restaurants, etc are walking or bus distance away from the resorts.The crocodile didn't help matters either.

Don't give up on Mexico, there all lots of better places to go.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

I loved The Mayan Palace better than Cancun and the buses were easy to catch and only $1 to PDC .

Some people have different requirements.

The pool was spotless and there was an area of beach you could swim in.

Food was much better than at A.I and worked out cheaper.

Saw No crocs

I would go there again but would forget Cancun

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

Well as you stated people have different requirements...

The pool was nasty last week when I was there. I don't call black mold growing in between tiles "spotless" Then to have a worker with snorkel gear scrubbing it off during my swim grossed me out.!

There was a crocodile, so hopefully you or anyone else won't run into it!

The beachs in Cancun are far nicer than the one at the Mayan Palace. This is my humble opinion.You can go to tha Mayan Palace and I will go Cancun! Have a great vacation!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

If you do your research (other than the crocodile), you would have been aware of the rocky beach, more secluded area, ect . . .

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

Not trying to be rude, but have to agree with Annyka. There are so many info sites, trip reports, and photos on the web that everyone should be easily well informed about the resort they are going to before booking. If you've never tried Playa del Carmen, they have some beautiful resorts in Playacar, like the Riu's, Iberostars, and Royal Hideaway. Beach is very nice there, too. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach last year and it was gorgeous, with a nice beach. We used to stay out by the Sheraton back in the early 80's, and although the beach was gorgeous, swimming was usually treacherous. FAGCB is right at the point and has more protection so you can swim there easily.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

Annyk and Summer,

I did research and knew of the rocky beach, and location.However you don't really know how anything REALLY is until you experience it.

As for the beach I was disappointed, and I am not afraid to voice my OPINION. That is what forums are for. I'm not here to argue over opinions, just give information of my experience.

Everyone has different requirements as oysterfriend stated. I had a great trip, but won't stay at the Mayan again due to they "don't live up to my requirements" There were other issues besides beach and location.

On a more postive note:The room was clean, cool and comfortable. The maid service was excellent. Most meals were delicious.That's about all I did like about the Mayan.

For what is it worth, You don't have to agree with my opinion but you don't have to try and make me feel like an idiot.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Mayan Prison

This is why there is not many reports like yours on here. Thanks for letting us know how your trip was. I hope you enjoy your next trip better.