We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

Bridgewater NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

Myself and 4 friends visited Playa Del Carmen this past week and I want to share an experience that I think other women should be aware of. We were approached by a man who said he was our waiter at the Barceló Maya Palace. He wanted us to come into his Momma's shop and then offered us some Tequila. We were a bit taken back and really didn't recognize him as a waiter so we quickly moved along. Only to encounter a similar situation shortly down the road on 5th. Avenue. We realized that they recognized our bracelets from the resort and thus introduced themselves as our waiters. Women please be careful to avoid being scammed by these men!!! Also please be aware if you have any identifying hotel bands that they could be used in this unscrupulous way!!! I hope this post helps another woman or group of women from being taken advantage of!!!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

This has been going on for a few years. They are equal opportunity artists, they try this on couples and men as well. They usually hang around 5th Ave between 2 and 6 Calle. This flea market area is noted for the obnoxious barkers as well. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

This is an old trick....have had it happen to me before.

It's not only women, they do it to everyone.

They are just trying an original way of getting you to buy something....just ignore it....it's pretty harmless, really.

Chestermere
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

They pull that one on everybody, we were there in November and had them guessing as we had no bands!

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

Not a new ploy. This has been happening for years, and not just to women. It's a way for them to try and entice you into their stores, I don't think there's anything more nefarious than that.

Good reminder though.

Edit: what the good people above said! :)

Edited: 01 February 2014, 20:07
Michigan
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

I guess it must work but what makes these guys think that I'm going to shop in the store of a liar?

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

You can avoid this ploy by having your resort band placed around a bracelet. When you go into PDC just remove it from the bracelet and no ID.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

I've never had my resort wristband placed around a bracelet however my husband wears a watch and I bring bracelets that snap around our wristbands so they can't see.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,424 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

I agree with others. The guys one 5th Av. are equal opportunity hustlers. They don't single anyone out.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

I go away a lot and this is used in Tunisia a lot. I just say oh yea i want that 20 dinar i lent you. They soon scurry off.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women Be Aware on 5th Avenue!!

A variation: Many people (most?) have their names and addresses exposed on their luggage tags. Really bad idea. Any con artist can quickly and easily identify you by not only name, but address as well. With that much information about you, a clever con can create a host of scams and have their way with the unsuspecting. For that reason, NEVER have your info exposed on a luggage tag. Simply turn it upside down, and write "contact info-OVER"