We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

I'm not really into the club scene and only a moderate drinker. I like soccer, so I expect I'll spend at least one night at a sports bar, but considering sunset is around 5:30 in February, it looks like I'll have a lot of time twidding my thumbs and swatting at mosquitoes. Any suggestions?

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,575 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Well you don't say what your dates are, but Atlante plays host to Cruz Azul on the 9th and to Puebla on the 23rd at their home stadium in Cancun (Estadio Andres Quintana Roo). I've seen matches there and in fact have ridden the ADO bus (Centro, not airport!) there from Playa in order to do so. Might be entertaining for you on one of those evenings...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Oh, that sounds like it could be fun and right up my alley! I will be there on the 9th, do you think I could still get tickets? How would I go about it? Approximate ticket cost? If I could work it out, that would be an unexpected bonus on this trip.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Looks like they're being sold at this link, at least:

mayanaccess.com/onlinetickets/…evento.php

Not sure if other sites might be better. I also don't know the cost (that may tell you), but generally speaking, these events tend to seem very inexpensive if you're coming at it from a US (and maybe particularly from an NYC) perspective.

Let me check with my BIL and see what he suggests for tickets...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Are you staying AI or non-AI? We usually spend our nights dining (and drinking) at one of the many wonderful restaurants in town. We like to eat later in the evening, anywhere from 7-9, and wander around 5th before and after dinner. Many of the restaurants are really beautiful. Try Alux for a unique dining experience. Hit the north end to get out of the more busy areas, try Piola or La Cueva Del Chango for instance. The "clubs" are mostly around Calle 12 between 1st and 10th. If you like music, the beach bars (Fusion, Zenzi, Wah Wah's, etc) can be fun. I like La Bodequita Del Medio, good Latin music and dancing. You can always have coffee, cappuccino, or espresso type drinks at Ah Cacao, just sit outside and people watch. You can see the fire shows at a few of the beach bars (I think Fusion's is at 9 or 10pm).

Centennial
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

AI's have evening shows.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

I'm not at an AI, so unfortunately that's out for me. I think a night of music would not be bad, but I'm not so much into dancing, unless there are inadvisable levels of alcohol involved. You think it's ok to just go to listen? Ah Cacao also sounds great. Thanks for the suggestions, Leon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

I checked out the site and, stupid question, but that is in PESOS, right? My mind is kind of blown by how cheap they are. Also, do you know if these are tickets I'd be printing out? I don't know if a printer will be available where I am.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Inre music at bars, I'd think it would be fine to just sit and listen. Order a non-alcoholic drink and tip, should be no problem.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

Hmm, just checked to see if there was any other information on seeing a futbol match in the forums. Not very much, but someone mentioned that tickets ARE expensive, because you'd want to sit away from local fans. I know there is some football related violence in other countries, but I didn't think it was much of a problem in Mexico. Naive?

Oh, I don't mind a drink or two--I have a bit of social anxiety without it--but I didn't want to feel weirdly out of place, if that was all I was doing.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do at night in PDC that doesn't involve clubs/bars

We will typically go to Fusion or Zenzi after dinner, then nurse a drink, maybe two.