We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets or El Dorado?

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets or El Dorado?

Hi-

My husband and I are looking for a nice all-inclusive, adults-only resort for an anniversary trip this May. We are trying to compare/contrast the Secrets Silver Sands and Secrets Capri vs. the El Dorado Seaside Suites. Can anyone provide us some comparison between the these choices? While we would love a more private/secluded room/suite, we are fine with access to nightlife, people, and activities in the area. We both love to snorkel. Feedback appreciated!

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

We'll be at Secrets Capri May 28-June 3!

Sorry to crash your question but if you happen to choose SCR let me know!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,732 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

Hi

Can you expand on a few likes and dislikes about the property you would like to stay at as this will help people steer you in the right direction

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

Capri is much smaller and more intimate than Silversands. Also a more traditional style and décor whereas Silversands is more modern and much more lively. Silversands beach is better to walk but Capri is better to get into the ocean. Only 1 large pool at Capri versus a medium size one and many smaller pools at Silversands. The food and beverage options were equally good at both IMO. I haven't been to El Dorado so I can't comment there, sorry, but we're going to SSS in June and Capri in December so clearly, we like both.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

I have been to SSS twice and both were GREAT. Love the décor, and the chill environment. Beautiful hotel and nice outside spaces at night. I would go back again. The only downside is the beach which is not ideal, but I have heard there have been improvements in the last couple years.

We went to El Dorado Seaside last year and it was eh.. Food ok, drinks ok, room ok. Beach NICE. The best feature in my opinion. El Dorado had a crowd that seemed to be all honeymooners and retirees. All nice, but didn't seem thrilled with Americans (we weren't obnoxious) The whole place seemed to die around 11. We struggled to stay out later and didn't make it most nights. Really depends what you are looking for. Romance and quiet I would probably choose EDSS but if you are going with other couples, SSS for sure as long as the beach isn't a deal breaker. The many pools there ALMOST make up for the beach.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

We much preferred EDSS to Secrets Capri. We thought the food was excellent, the staff terrific, the grounds lush and lovely and the rooms fresh and modern. Beach was adequate but not special but better IMO than the one at Capri was last time we stayed there.

As for SSS, we have visited only and while rooms were very nice, the beach is not at all nice for swimming and we would not stay there.

indiana
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

At Capri is there any distance of walkable beach>

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

Yes, Capri is very walkable in both directions for quite a ways if I recall correctly.

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

hi, guys! So sorry I trailed off of this topic…my husband and I have decided to not to schedule a vacay right away as we have two family vacays lined up through this summer. However, I'm reading these posts and will refer back later when we are ready to schedule our own getaway. Thanks SO much for all of the helpful info!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

We have done both the SSS and EDSS. We enjoyed both and it's a toss up as to which one we would do again. Both had very nice rooms, SSS- very modern and EDSS more typical Mexican. The food was really good at both. The beach was a little better at the SSS.

We have not repeated these two resorts as we are currently in love with the Valentin Imperial Maya. BTW the VIM is within the price range of the other two resorts.

10. Re: Secrets or El Dorado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15