We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

Chico, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

I've been going round and round trying to find a place to stay for our honeymoon. We are going in late September for 10 days, the first 5 of which we would like to stay in Playa del Carmen area. (The next 4 nights will be at Papaya Playa Project in Tulum.) I am looking for an all-inclusive for this part of the trip, adults-only, small or at least small feel, with good food/drinks, and at least some night-time entertainment. We basically want to soak up the sun, hang out by/in the pool and on the beach during the day.

I initially picked El Dorado Maroma for the great beach, beach beds, nice looking rooms with views, and high rated food/drink. After seeing that the activites are limited to small entertainment at Rick's, water aerobics, and bingo, I don't think this is the place for us.

I then came across The Royal Hideaway Playacar and my only con is that the "beach beds" are not actually on the beach. I'm not in love with the style of the hotel overall, but that wouldn't steer me away. I like that it's a relaxing vibe, but close to downtown Playa del Carmen so that we would have the option for night entertainment if we got bored. Just from reading things on travelocity we already know we would like to go see a fire show in town one night!

I LOVE the look of Mahekal Resort, but it looks like kids are allowed there? That and it's not actually all inclusive.

Can someone that's been to these places tell me what you think? Would it be worth staying at EDM and going into Playa if we got bored there, or better to stay at Royal Hideaway which is closer?

Thanks!!!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

I love staying at the RH specifically because it is quiet with an amazing beach and it's so close to town and town is fun.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,928 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

We have had recent stays at both RH and EDM...RH just a few weeks ago. Both are very quiet resorts. We think both were terrific, but I give the edge to EDM. We preferred the solitude of its beach to the very busy Playacar beach, with the noise from neighboring resorts at RH. However, September will be quieter overall than January when we were there. The beach and water at RH are amazing. They are also lovely at EDM. EDM has better pools too for a small resort.

Rooms are more modern at EDM. We had a 2-level duplex at RH which was fantastic and a swim out at EDM which we also loved. Rooms at EDM would have outshone RH's had we not had the duplex.

We highly preferred the no reservation system for dinners at EDM but food gets a slight edge at RH. Both are good. Pool and beach service at RH was the best we've had. Zero timeshare pressure at RH, which is great. Low key timeshare push at EDM, which is annoying.

Both are great resorts. If proximity to PDC is important on a few occasions, maybe choose RH. For one night in PDC, I'd choose EDM and take a taxi. You can also look at the wonderful Le Blanc Spa in Cancun which has a fire show.

PM me if you have other questions, if you'd like.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

I agree with RM's comments about EDM and it is one of our favorite AO resorts, following Le Blanc in Cancun which we think is wonderful. In addition to the fire show (which we have never attended) Le Blanc has a lobby bar with nightly entertainment before dinner and a third floor bar with music most nights after dinner.

We have resisted RH as we do not like being restricted to reservation only dining and having to compromise on when and where we have dinner based on availability. Iberostar Grand is the only resort we have been to that has that same policy and we found it annoying and inflexible, unless we wanted to have dinner at 6:30 or 10, which we do not. That and comments about mediocre house wines have kept us from booking.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 12:37
Chico, California
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

Thank you for your replys! Very helpful.

I don't like the sound of a reservation system at for dinner at RH, being on vacation we like to think of life without a time schedule.

I breifly looked at Le Blanc and it just seemed too high rise hotel.

Maybe we will pick EDM and just take a taxi. Other comments say PDC is a 10 minute taxi from EDM--is this correct?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

Please consider trip insurance! That is the middle of hurricane season.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

Please consider trip insurance! That is the middle of hurricane season.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,928 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

I think you would have fewer issues with the reservations at RH in Sept as compared to high season. You can also make them in advance via email. It was a bother last trip, but next time we'd just make them all for 8pm and not give it a second thought. This past time we tried to work around their shows, etc., when, in retrospect, we really don't enjoy cheesy shows in Mexico and never went to them at RH. EDM surely gives you more flexibility, but you're going during low season, so you'd be pretty good either way.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

You may want to look at the Palladium's Royal Suites Yucatan. This is a small (130 rooms) area of the resort, tucked away in the complex a0;lowing privacy, adults only atmosphere. It is VIP and affords many extra amenities such as private gourmet restaurant, private lobby with premium liquors, private beach area with bali beds and waitservice, room service, private pool with waitservice, spa, internet in rooms, double jacuzzis on decks. If guests from the Royal wish to venture to other parts of the complex they have access to the entire complex including 9 additional ala cartes, live music and theaters at night, all beach areas and pools including some adults only pools.

This is a large complex carved out of a jungle. It is meticulous and would afford you the privacy of a small resort within a larger resort.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

Personally I would not want to stay at a resort within a larger resort like Palladium where the only adult option for dining was one restaurant. We prefer to have options. And we much prefer a smaller resort.

10. Re: Where to stay for honeymoon in Riviera Maya this September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18