We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Hi,

Can I download movies on my ipad and play them on a plane using my ear buds? The plane I am going on is so old I guess that it only has the little screens up on the ceiling. I think I'll go crazy without the ability to watch and control movies of my choice. I'm not tech savvy, obv, and am not sure if I can turn it on while flying?

Thanks,

Surf:)

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
396 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Pretty sure you can after 10,000 ft. Some airlines let you the whole time. Even taxiing

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
372 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Yes, you can watch movies that are downloaded on your ipad in the plane. The rule has always been that you have to have electronic devices off when taking off and landing but can turn them on at cruising altitude. The last time I flew delta, they allowed you to have ipads on the entire flight, not sure if other airlines have changed yet or not.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Yes, the rules have changed about small electronics - they can be used on take off and landing now as well. Larger electronics such as laptops still cannot, but that is an issue of the potential for these to fly around the cabin and injure people should something happen or be in the way of people needing to evacuate the plane.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

You can use your iPad (or any other similar device), just make sure you activate "airplane mode" and follow the cabin crew's instructions regarding earbud use. (Typically, you can't use them on take off or landing because you need to be able to hear the flight attendants yelling instructions in the case of an emergency).

At the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to bring your charger cable with you. I always put mine in my carry on because I'd hate to lose it if the rest of my checked luggage went AWOL.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Great, thank you all! Now if y'all could only download some movies for me :))

-Surf:)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

The rules have changed in the US, but not yet in Canada. (Unless I missed that.)

Just follow the announcements; they'll be clear. On my last flight through the US recently, the announcement explained the new rule, and that the safety video was out of date and to ignore that part. And later they announced the not-yet-in-Canada part.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

What llisa said

In addition make sure that you have actually downloaded then onto your device (on ipad they show up in the "video" area) and that you arent relying on streaming video (like netflix or flikr)....unless you have wifi on your flight.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 23:38
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Hey Surf. Ready for you next trip? We are off to Mexico on April 19th! My 39+1th birthday,

My iPad will be charged with movies and ill take my wireless SD card with me so I have more space.

If you are not sure how to get movies onto the iPad give me a shout and I will talk you through it! :)

Speaking from a very windy Britain! 80 MPH winds today!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
937 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

Best app to watch movies on your Ipad is CINEXPLAYER

It will play any format of movie you have loaded onto your Ipad, is hi def and easy to load movies onto it.

1- after you have downloaded the app - plug your Ipad into your computer

2- open Itunes and click on the little Ipad icon on the upper right of Itunes screen

3- click on APPS across the top

4- scroll down to CINEXPLAYER

5- on right side of screen click on ADD

6- scroll thru your movie files on your computer and add the movies of your choice, you can add more than one at a time

7- wait for all to be loaded, unplug Ipad, go to CINEXPLAYER app, enjoy your movies

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Kathy

10. Re: Technically left in the dark: dumb question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21