We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

Hi All!

As always, I plan my vacations based on all of your expertise! Last year, my husband and I went to the Royal Haciendas for our honeymoon. We loved it!! A couple negatives of it: NOTHING goes on after 7 pm. I mean the resort is dead. We are 25 years old, we like our sleep, but are very social! Also, didn't love the taxi drive to 5th ave. it wasn't long, but it would be nice to be able to walk there!

We are looking to book our next trip this June. We are debating going back to the Haciendas because the price is right, but I would like to maybe try something different? Here are our issues though: I like something "smaller" some of the resorts are SO big, I don't want to have to be on a golf cart getting around the grounds. Also, we have never done AI before, so we would like to try it this year for fun! Would love to be some what close to 5th ave. and here is the BIG kicker...we are two teachers, last year we went for 2,000. We are trying to keep at around that price (or max 2,300) for this year as well!

Anyone have ANY suggestions? I have looked at Blue Bay Grand, Sandos, Grand Riveria Princess, Ocean Maya, etc. they all seem so big?

Thanks for your help!!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

We got the Royal PDC for $2200 two years ago for 4 nights. It is a wonderful hotel and seems to fit all your needs and is right across the street from 5th Ave. I have not been to any of the other resorts you listed. Good luck!

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

Check Playacar Palace. Smaller All-Inclusive, great beach, short walk to 5th Avenue and surrounding area, next to pier to take the ferry over to Cozumel for a day trip. Or, look at a smaller boutique hotel and get out and enjoy the wonderful restaurants in PDC.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

I would like to maybe try something different?

then go with the boutique non AI

See this thread

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k721295…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,182 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

Sorry - did not see that you have never done an AI - hopefully the other choices are good

NEWPORT BEACH,CA
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

I always stay at Gran Porto Real. Great location,good food and might be a little cheaper than some of the others.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

None of the places you listed are within walking distance of Playa del Carmen. I can't imagine you could get Playacar Palace within your budget either. There are a few smaller AI resorts within about a mile (15 minute walk) of PDC that are usually less expensive. Take a look at the Allegro Playacar, Viva Azteca and the Reef Playacar. They are usually cheap enough to allow a few meals in town. I'm not an AI expert and I don't need fancy food so the Allegro Playacar was just fine for us. I walked through the other two mentioned on my early morning walk and they looked similarly fine.

Level Contributor
234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

I would suggest looking at hotels in the Playacar. We loved how easy it was to was to walk to PDC. Maybe one of the RUI's?

Level Contributor
234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

I would suggest looking at hotels in the Playacar. We loved how easy it was to was to walk to PDC. Maybe one of the RUI's?

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

Try one of the Karisma Resorts.

Eldorado Seaside & Eldorado Maroma are the smaller ones.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 10:58
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!! CANNOT make a decision for the life of me! :(

It's been a few years since we were there (back when it was the Shangrila), but we loved Mahekal. Small, good food and you could easily walk into town.