We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Adults Only?

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Adults Only?

Started research for a kind of last minute trip to RM the last week in March. We have not been to the area in ten years, so looking for a little feedback on which adults only resort people have and have not enjoyed.

We are mid thirties and looking for a great beach for lounging and swimming. We're not picky eaters or drinkers, we've always found things we're happy with at other all inclusives.

One specific question...our dates are around 3/26-3/31 (only doing 5 nights because we're leaving our little girl with the grandparents) are there a lot of spring breakers around that time at these resorts? We definitely like to have a few drinks and enjoy ourselves, but we're also not looking for a keg party type atmosphere. (And with that statement I now officially feel old.)

On our short list:

Valentin Imperial Maya

Catolonia Royal Tulum

Secrets Capri

Dorado Seaside

Thanks for any input!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Adults Only?

Hi there just returned from the CTR, it is a lovely adults only property, with 90% loud italians that smoke heavy!we felt out of place, if you go with friends you would have someone to chat with and have fun, We won't be going back, last year we went to Secrets Silversands, alot more $$$ but so worth it! Just beautiful in every way! Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Adults Only?

Thank you! I had read a few reviews that were similar. We will be celebrating our tenth anniversary.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Adults Only?

We stayed at El Dorado Seaside Suites in Sept 2013. If you're looking for a great beach, you won't find it there. We love the beach too and their beach is awful. Big sand whales, lots of rocks and sharp stones or coral in the water. Even though the resort was very nice, good food and an outstanding staff, I don't think we would go back because of the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Adults Only?

we were very satisfied with the Secrets Capri - we stayed this past Oct - nice beach, somewhat small, but suits the size of the resort - plenty of loungers at both Beach and Pool - service was impeccable - though you mentioned not being picky, we found the food to be high quality - the water is very nice, no rocks, easy swimming/frolicking - I might add, an unadvertised benefit is the free long distance to North America - I'm hopeful, whatever you choice you will enjoy - please do feel free to send me a message, should you have any additional questions on the Capri

Texas
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Adults Only?

Of all that you mentioned we've only been to the Valentin (3x) and feel like it's a solid adults only choice that usually comes in at a great price when compared to other adults only. The beach is great, pools are huge and fun, food is subjective but there is always something you can find, rooms are just fine, etc. They also offer a decent variety of activities without being a big party type of atmosphere...think beach bar w/seasonal shows, theatre shows, live music/dancing, etc.

Since I've never been to others I can only comment on my assumptions but I believe the Secrets Capri and El Dorado Seaside Suites beaches are a step down from the Valentin beach. I've readh that CRT has a great beach but overall the resort seems a level below the Valentin.

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Adults Only?

Thanks so much for the info!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Adults Only?

The CRT has by far the best beach, but the VIM is nicer and has more amenities. The CRT used to be much cheaper, but not sure if the prices now.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Adults Only?

Hello Jeninma , we have been to all on your list with the exception of the El Dorado and would highly recommend the VIM , it has all you are looking for !

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Adults Only?

We celebrated our 32nd anniversary at Capri. This was a wonderful experience. We had the anniversary package and an ocean view suite. Part of our package included a spa credit, dinner on the beach and champagne in our room and breakfast in bed (we didn’t use the breakfast in bed). The dinner on the beach was so romantic. They completely surrounded us with white sheer organza with mood lighting at the base for the dinner if you are in a pergola and if you are at a Palapa it is a 3-way surround. Paola managed the food and drink service very well and Enrique was the best waiter. He gave us so much personal attention. The lights of Cozumel were in the distance and added to the romantic evening.

I do need to mention the Oceanside restaurant. I loved the food and Roberto the manager did a really good job. He spoke with us and discovered it was our 32nd anniversary. He brought out champagne with strawberries in it and for desert we received a lovely desert plate with “Happy 32nd Anniversary written on it.” He runs a very tight ship and makes sure that every customer is happy.

The Spa was terrific and new. We upgraded our package from a complementary 20 minute massage to an 80 minute massage each. My husband had a complimentary body scrub and I had the facial. The total upgraded cost was $120.00.

Overall, we had a very positive experience at Capri.

We went to VIM and found it to be a very lovely but large resort. The rooms are gorgeous. If you want to be ensured that you get a King sized bed, then you should consider booking a silver or emerald suite. Beach was nice and very pretty. Food was good and they had top shelf liquor and great bars. The one thing I missed at the Valentin was the level of personal attention and service we received at the Secrets resorts.

SSS was nice also but our biggest disappointment was the limited availability to go into the water due to the rocks. Other than that, it was supper nice.

We had a limited stay at EDR. I really didn't care for the rooms and the overall resort.

We've never stayed at CRT. I've thought about it but we've never made it there. Liked the Palladium but it is very large also.

Most of the resorts in the Riviera Maya do not permit Spring Breakers and usually require that you be 21 to check in. Every now and then there is a group for a wedding but they keep an eye on them. Never saw a problem with this at Capri or the Valentin.

Hope this helps. If I can answer any questions PM me.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 19:58
Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Adults Only?

Thanks so much for all of the input! We've decided on the VIM. So excited!