We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

St. Louis
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

We will be traveling in July with two teenagers and are trying to decide between these two resorts -- Sandos or Iberostar Tucan (although what is difference between Tucan and Quetzal?) which is better --?

philly
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Sandos for sure. Teen club, mini golf very lively courtyard area. Tucan/ quetzal are 2 sides of the same resort. While the grounds are beautiful there is nothing else going on.

philly
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Another thing to consider is that while both resorts have buffets without air conditioning; the Tucan's buffet and lobby bars are set way back from the ocean. In July I would think the heat would be miserable. Sandos has airconditioning in its lobby and the sports bar and buffet are near the ocean so you do get some breeze.

Coos Bay, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Have been to Both resorts, stayed in the Sandos Beach Section and/or Family section, just to be clear as they have an upscale adult section. You cannot compare the Sandos to Iberostar. The iberostar T/Q is a step up from the Sandos.

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Hubby and I went to the Tucan in late June a couple years ago and really loved it. We didn't find the lobby to hot or humid. There were some nice breezes and I think ceiling fans that kept air circulating. There really isn't much difference between the tucan and the quetzal, just some décor differences in the lobby and rooms.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Your kids would have a great time at sandos lots of activities for them. Plus I think the rooms are much nicer than the iberostar

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

We went to Sandos in 2012 - stayed in the Hacienda section. We found the food was very average and our room was pretty dated. We looked at a couple of rooms in the Beach section but they were even more dated and very small. We did see a room in the Riviera section that was very nice and much more updated, but it's further from the beach. My son did enjoy the games room so something to consider for a rainy day or the evening. They did have some pool/beach games including volleyball that were fun and the courtyard entertainment was also fun. Would likely not go back though because of the food. I'm going to the Ibersotar T/Q at the end of April (not with my younger son but with my daughters who are in there early 20s) - will see how they compare and will let you know (not sure if you can wait that long to make your decision).

Edited: 20 February 2014, 19:25
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

We are staying in the Hacienda section (Sandos Playacar) next week. We visited the resort for a day trip in Nov/13 and checked it out.....including the rooms. They are beautifully updated. I have not stayed in a beach front room, nor did we look at one, but a friend has stayed in one and they did have an updated room. The amenities for both adults and youth were many. We are looking forward to checking out what Playacar has to offer. From what we have seen, I do not think we will be disappointed.

I don't believe that a comparison from 2012 is a good basis to make comparisons from. Resorts go through many changes (both for the good and the bad) in a short period of time.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

Sherry H we are hoping to make reservations soon would love to get your feedback when you are there.

Did you book through a time share?

Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

@diver......just sending you a pm.....

Edmonton Alberta
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Sandos Playacar

I have stayed at both, and I would have yo say the Star entertainment team is awesome at Iberostar.