We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Wife and I booked what for us is the vacation of a lifetime at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar. We agonized over the selection process because, well its not likely we'll be able to afford to go back soon. Anyway, booked with vacations to go for a Superior oceanfront junior suite. Paid $700 extra for such a privelege too. I have had two nightmares this week (literally woke up in the middle of the night) where we get there and its a basic room with a terribly obstructed view of the ocean. We check in on Saturday, Feb 22.

Does any body have experience with room type at this hotel? What am I in for?

Signed

Nervous and Anxious

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

heading down to sister resort Saturday also. Chicago here also.

first things first....no matter what..you will be on vacation in Mexico, and no matter what the issue (if you have any bad ones), it is better than being in Chicago working, or shoveling snow!! If you can stick with that thought, your vacation will be great.

I would highly recommend doing a little research here. find a map or two, there are 5 resorts in one at Iberostar, and any of the threads mentioning Iberostar will give you the same resort map. Check out some recent reviews of Iberostar Lindo, and one has a link for some pictures to give you a sense of the resorts.

Now the bad news....I have not been to this resort yet, but from what I have read, and looked at, there are NO ocean front rooms for del Mar. So you may have paid for something you really do not need. probbaly too late to get out now, but one never knows, you might get to the resort check in, and get an upgrade...with that great smile you will give them. trust me, yelling does not help, but a smile and freindly hello sure does.

good luck, and will look for you next week.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,263 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

I scrolled through some of the traveler's pictures of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and some show ocean view from their room. One mentions 1031 as their room number and that view was fine, but a few pictures later is a much nicer ocean view. I didn't read their review to see if they mention room number, but based on these pictures I think ocean view is available. And if you have OCEANFRONT you really should get one of the nicest views. As the previous poster mentioned, stay smiling and pleasant. Verify at check-in that your room is OCEANFRONT and I truly think all will be well. :)

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

IMO those ocean front rooms are no way worth an extra $700. Yes there are trees so your view is tthrough them.

My advice would be to take that extra money and upgrade to the Lindo, might be less then $700.

At the Lindo you can not only use their pool and restaurants but the Del Mar ones also. Lindo is nicer anyways.

If I were booking the Del Mar I would get a third floor room in the middle of the resort. It is a long walk to the lobby from the beach, better to be in the middle.

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Musky...there ARE absolutely ocean front rooms at the Del Mar. Not many but if that is what you booked and paid for you should be placed in Building 10 upon check in. Your room number should be 10XX. Out of all 5 Iberostars the Del Mar (other than the Grand) is really the only one with true ocean front views. Building 10 has 3 floors but the 3rd floor are 2 Presidential Suites so you won't get them. My advice is to e-mail the resort ASAP and request a 2nd floor room. We have stayed in that building twice with awesome ocean views. Granted you are set a little back from the shoreline but if you can land a second floor you'll have a great view. You can PM me if you want and I can send a few pics.

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Musky...there ARE absolutely ocean front rooms at the Del Mar. Not many but if that is what you booked and paid for you should be placed in Building 10 upon check in. Your room number should be 10XX. Out of all 5 Iberostars the Del Mar (other than the Grand) is really the only one with true ocean front views. Building 10 has 3 floors but the 3rd floor are 2 Presidential Suites so you won't get them. My advice is to e-mail the resort ASAP and request a 2nd floor room. We have stayed in that building twice with awesome ocean views. Granted you are set a little back from the shoreline but if you can land a second floor you'll have a great view. You can PM me if you want and I can send a few pics.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

My wife and I stayed at the Del Mar for our Honeymoon in 2004. We did have a ocean view room. Building 10 third floor. The view was great! We spent a lot of time enjoying coffee or beer on the balcony watching the waves until Hurricane Ivan came for a visit. We then found our room pitch black as our view was covered with sheet metal for two days. Made a great story. Will be at the Iberostar Beach section in 4 days!!!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

I have also stayed in building 10 for my honeymoon in 2004. Our view was very obstructed but we really enjoyed the breeze and the sounds. The great thing about building 10 is how close it is to the pool and small pool/beach restaurant. It was an upgrade but for $700 more a trip I would have booked at the Maya or at least the Lindo.

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Maybe a little compassion and support for these folks might be nice. Musky clearly states in the original post that this is a "the vacation of a lifetime" and they may not be able to afford to go back any time soon. It's to the point of giving them nightmares! So to flippantly suggest changing their reservation less than 2 days before arrival and telling them they paid too much for Oceanfront might be a little mean. Really at this point there isn't much they can probably do as far as changing what they booked.

Musky, my wife and I have stayed at all the resorts in the Iberostar Paraiso complex many times and have always had a wonderful time. Make sure to explore the entire Del Mar and the Paraiso Beach. They are both beautiful and unique. Have a wonderful time and do your best not to stress about the room and the view. It'll be a great vacation.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

As already mentioned, there is one building that is ocean front, and if that's what you booked, then you should certainly get it. Just a suggestion, ask to see the room first and if you truly can't see the ocean (but I don't see how you couldn't unless a ton of vegetation has grown there over the years), you could always ask for another room with a better view. Keep in mind though that this is high season and they may not be able to give you a different room in that building, but it is worth a try.

Just try to relax and get there in a good frame of mind. You are going to have a wonderful time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nervous about check in Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Thanks to everyone for the help. megadave-not to worry, I didn't take offense and believe me, I don't think it's worth an extra $700. But Mrs Muskyfins, says if she's waiting for me to shower/get ready for dinner, etc, she wants a room right on the water, so I had little choice. I have also contacted the resort directly and their story corroborates some of the answers here-building 10 is right on the beach. Whether or not that's where we end up, well....

And I hope I didn't mislead anyone either. Mrs muskyfins and I, in her words have never had a "real" vacation. Now that our kids are in college, and we're paying that tab, IMO this still isn't a prudent financial decsison. Maybe I have a 1950's metality with money? lol But this is definitely a first time and maybe a while before it's in the cards again, so I dodn't want to pay for something not to receive it.

Thanks again to everybody and hopefully i'll see some of you down in 'ol Mexico???