We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
976 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

A bit of a vent here, so please excuse. We have been to the Playa Del Carmen area nine times in the last 9 years. We have also made three trips to Cuba in this time as well. Our last trip, less than three weeks ago was to a new resort in Cuba( our fourth resort in Cuba) and in 13 trips, it was the first resort we had major issues and complaints. I posted a review, and all of my concerns were blown off as " relax your on vacation",,, "its all about your attitude" ect. Now I know this is a Mexico forum, but its where I feel more comfortable, and it brings me to this question. How much attention to you pay to reviews? If its a place you have booked do you blow off negative reviews as a bad attitude of the reviewer? I guess I am feeling upset with myself, because we could have returned to Mexico, my first love, but price dictated and I am so sorry I let that influence my decision, and I didn't pay attention to the common thread through the reviews. So I paid the price. So...do you pay attention to the reviews. Do you blow off the concerns of others? We are returning to MEXICO in November. I can't wait!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

Honestly, before I book a trip and after I am glued to TA and my wife says I am somewhat an addict! I read hundreds of reviews (no exaggeration) so I can expect the worst and the best from everyone else's experiences. 1 star ratings to 5 star ratings as well as countless forum posts and google searches goes a long way in my opinion. Someone may point out the best room w/ the best view at a resort which may steer my request for that room based on their pics attached to reviews or someone may complain about service or a particular food dish so that'll help me avoid that food option or share my concerns about below par service w/ management. Sorry that people blow you off a bit but after being on TA and other review sites for a few years I've learned that is expected.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I agree with #1, I read TA carefully and pay attention to the reviews. Sometimes a person is cranky or just impossible to please, and I think you can tell that. (The cliché is the person who goes to Paris and complains that the rooms are small - duh. I have also read reviews of Mexican and Dominican hotels where the reviewer complains that people aren't speaking English) But when people have complaints, especially if several people say the same thing, I definitely take it into account. I appreciate that people take the trouble to post reviews, whether good or bad, and I always try to add my own reviews whenever I travel. It is incredibly helpful and I can't imagine how we did without it before the internet.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I read the reviews to educate myself. The more I know the better I can deal with what might happen.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I also read hundreds of reviews and forum posts. Honestly, the negative ones basically equal ten positive ones...they make a big impact on me. This is especially true of they are thoughtful reviews, trying to take into account good things as well as bad.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I agree with all of the above. I am stalking TA and the resorts beforeI end up booking one and don't think that twice, reviews starting going downhill and I have called Expedia and canceled and booked a different hotel. So, yes I pay attention to ALL reviews from the day I book until the plane takes off.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 00:54
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
976 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I so appreciate your input! After being online, and a member of TA for 10 years, and 13 all-inclusive vacations in that time, I was rather stunned to see that was being called a " winer and complainer". It truly was my first time, in 13 trips , that I had written a review that I couldn't give at least a four out of five and I was so sad about that. IT made me question my perspective and my expectations. But I guess, that really is, my purpose of this post. How do we as travellers, view the reviews we read before our vacations? I

Edited: 01 March 2014, 00:59
Canada
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I like to read the bad reviews first to see if they mention things that would concern me. I always click on the posters TA profile to see if they are a like minded person and have other reviews.

It's the many small things that can make or break a trip and too often others dismiss complaints on here. Rose coloured glasses.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

After reading in the media and reading reviews of Nassau, I wanted to take a tazer (or a gun) with me. After spending the day there, I never felt anything was really that threatening. I did think it was rather run-down and I got scammed for a small amount of money. We stayed one night to catch a plane to the out islands. There is something to the reviews, but not always a deal breaker.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 02:06
Texas
Level Contributor
789 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

As a fellow Trip Advisor addict, yes, I pay attention to reviews, pictures, and forums. I take everything into account when looking for a new vacation destination. Nothing irritates me more than someone who totally dis counts another person's opinion just because it is different from their own. People tend to get very protective of "their" resort and can't stand criticism. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
469 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews....Do you pay attention or not....

I have found great info by weeding out the people who come across as completely ridiculous (you all know which reviews fall into this category!). I also discount complaints where minimal website research would have revealed that the resort only has 2 restaurants, they are not adult only, it's 5 mi. from town, etc. I find the most useful information is anything where you see a theme - i.e., the construction at the Royal. I was sure I would be booking there in May - based on the reviews I changed to the Playacar Palace. Years ago we stayed at the RIU Cancun where I repeatedly read reviews stating that the elevators would constantly break down. At checkin we were put on the 4th floor and due to the reviews I did not ask for a higher floor. Ended having to walk up to the room twice during the week because only 1 elevator was working!