We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

Hello everyone,

I've never been on this forum before so thank you for any help you can provide.

We are going to Paradisus La Esmerelda in November. My son is small for his age and doesn't eat much. He will turn 13 two months before our trip which means he would be considered an adult. This will cost us almost $2,000 more which puts this resort out of our price range. This may seem unethical but if we put down that he is 12, do they request to see proof?

Thank you!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

They will ask to see his/your passports when you check in.

USA
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

Yes, all Mexican resorts we have been to have requested passports of all travelers at the time of check-in.

They will most likely charge you full rack rate for him at check in unless you pre-book with with his actual age. Most resorts do charge full adult rates for anyone over the age of 12.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

ok, thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,841 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

Others may tell you their kids' passports (and even their passports) have never been checked by any resort.

However, my experience is the same as TikiBarGod's - every resort I've ever been to has asked to see both ours and the kids' passports. In one case in particular, I know for sure that they checked my son's age - he was only 11 but was very tall and looked older than his years. In addition to checking his passport, the clerk even asked him how old he was! (The resort in question was running a "kids under 12 stay free" promo at the time.)

Edited: 24 March 2014, 17:50
5. Re: Paradisus La Esmerelda- Check child's age?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:16