We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a place to get a sim card for my cell phone close to the bus station on 5th ave. in playa del carmen. I've purchased them on some islands before but not Mexico yet. Do they work the same? What is the local mobile phone company I should be looking for, thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

I would use Telcel , the bus station is on the corner of 5th and Juarez, go west on Juarez to 10th ave ( 1 block) on the south side of Juarez is a Telcel store. Get a sim, and the amigo plan, sim will be about 150pesos.

There are Telcel stores everywhere, and some Oxxo stores also sell Telcel phones and sims.

Oxxo is a convienient place to also add $ (recharge) your phone(sim).

Edited: 25 March 2014, 02:06
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Tel-Cell is the main provider here in Mexico. Unless you are just wanting to call locally, and text locally, a SIM card is not worth the investment. Your credit will be eaten up in no time. A new SIM card has to be activated for a year to get the rates down to a manageable level. This is why Carlos Slim (TEL-CEL) is the richest man in the world ahead of Bill Gates...Just use your Intl plan from your local provider in the US and you will be better off.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 02:54
Canada
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Dan, is a new sim treated differnent than a new phone ?

Edited: 25 March 2014, 03:18
Canada
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Here is the link to the rate plan for Amigo service translate.google.ca/translate…

the north American rates to USA, Canada and Mexico are 3.98peso per min you can get that down to less than 1 peso per minute by having 200pesos in time on your phone.

Basic phones can be purchased for under 300 pesos and include 100 pesos of time.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

thank you I tie_dye_guy I understand your comments. Thanks for your link! I actually used it to chat with a rep on telcel website using babelfish translator and he confirmed I can buy a sim card as long as my phone is unlocked without having to sign up for a plan. I can deal with .30 cents per minute. I have verizon so I'm sure using their international rates will be much higher. Plus I keep all my sim cards and reuse them when I go back to wherever . . .

Edited: 25 March 2014, 17:26
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Would a pre-paid phone be an option? I remember reading that Oxxo sold inexpensive phones pre-loaded with minutes.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

yes, some Oxxo's sell phones - see post #1

Yes, Amigo is pre-pay and some phones come with 100pesos preloaded - see post #4

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a place to get a sim card for my unlocked cell phone in playa del carmen. Just need to make regular local calls/texts....no data needed. I've purchased them on some islands before but not Mexico yet. Do they work the same? What is the local mobile phone company I should be looking for, prices, etc. I go to Playa, once or twice a year, do i need to get a new sim/phone #, every time? Thanks for your help!!!

Edited: 14 August 2014, 00:47
9. Re: sim card store for cell phone in playa del carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17