We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

My husband and I are trying to decide between the Iberostar Grand and the Royal Hideaway (for 1 week in May). We are in our late 30's/early 40's, and looking for a place to relax and be pampered, but do want some activity as well. Based on the hours I have spent reading reviews and forums, here are the questions we have.

1.) What is the average age of the guests at each (we don't want to be the oldest or the youngest)?

2.) Is is much better to be close to PDC? I like that RH is walking distance, but I also worry that the location of RH will feel too crowded and like the expanse of IG. We are not the nightclub type, but do love a good bar and walking around a city (but probably not every night).

3.) Is there some activity at RH? We don't need/want a loud party atmosphere, but also want some entertainment and activities.

4.) Are the rooms at RH in need of renovation? We don't mind a bit of slightly fading paint, but I saw some photos of a rusted terrrace and cracked drywall, that would REALLY bother us.

5.) Service: We don't need to be waited on hand and foot but do want to feel a bit pampered and would like attentive service.

6.) Beach: which is more relaxing, more swimmable, and more walkable?

7.) Grounds: we like pretty gardens and room to stroll (though the stroll to PDC at RH would work too).

8.) IG is about $350 more than RH... Do the differences in service/accommodations warrant the price?

9.) Quality of included drinks (wine, scotch, and mixed tropical drinks)

10.) Food (service, quality, and availability).

If you've read through all this... THANK YOU!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,026 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

Oops, 1 more

Which has better availability of lounge chairs at pool and beach (and more comfortable ones). Like most, we certainly don't want to spend 1/2 hour scrounging for chairs and are not the type to leave our chairs saved hours ahead of time.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

I have stayed at both and reviewed both. Take a look at my reviews for each.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

I, too, have stayed at both. Much prefer IGP. I have reviews of both. There are also a few other threads on the same subject (sorry, don't know how to post the links). Mags

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

I liked both, but prefer IGP too, same as bridgenut.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

I think either would be fabulous. We really love the IBG and have not been to RH. My husband likes a little socialization and some activity and while I don't know this from first hand experience, from my research I have been afraid RH would be too quiet for him. We first went to the Grand when I was 27 and have been a total of 4 times now and have never been the youngest or oldest. There is typically a large age range. I was told by a frequent Grand guest that during Jan-Feb the Grand tends to have the older clientele on average.

We like the spread out nature of the Grand so that we can have quiet time as well as social time. We love to take walks down the beach and also through the other Iberostar resorts and then wander our way back to the Grand.

The chair saving issue has had a lot of talk lately and we have not experienced it at the Grand, but it can be an issue during times of high occupancy. I think we must have been during lower occupancy times in April, August, and September.

Again, I think either would be a great fit for you. It sounds like you have really done your research.

NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

Thank you all so much! So...since the IG wins, just one question... Did not being close to town bother you?

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

No. We could care less. I am not a Playa del Carmen fan. Royal Hideaway is in Playacar, but at RH itself there is NOTHING to do. It is very, very quiet. The Grand is less quiet, and if you want lots of activity, just go next door to the Linda/Maya/Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,026 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
274 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

Not at all. I usually think before a trip that I want to go to PDC and we never do. Vendors yelling at me to come by stuff doesn't appeal to me so much anymore. We have wonderful food and great drinks at the Grand so I also don't feel the need to eat in PDC or head to a bar there.

The Iberostar complex does have a low cost shuttle if you wanted to try going to PDC and you wouldn't be out an entire taxi cost.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

I don't care about being close to PDC. It is "interesting" to wander around (been many times) and I've also stayed in town twice. You can take the Iberostar shuttle or a taxi (more expensive). However, I usually find if I'm on the beach at the resort with a cocktail, it's hard to leave!!:):)

We like to socialize and take part in some activities and nightlife and found RH to be quite boring......except for the nice people we met:):) There ARE some activities at RH, but they're few and far between with not much participation (at least when we were there). Many more daytime activities, and actually, quite good nightlife (shows, disco) at IGP.

NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand?

Thank you all SO much! Iberostar... here we come. Can't wait!!!