We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a decent exchange rate:

AAA is offering 12.38 with no service fee or S&H, so I would get $12400 pesos for $1001.18 dollars. I really don't want to use our debit/CC while on playa. but if I can get a better rate there then I may be tempted.

Thank you in advance.

Happy travels

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

oanda.com is currently quoting 13..2039 pesos to the dollar so no, I don't think 12.38 is that great.

Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Thank you Llisa,

would a casa de cambio match the oanda rates?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Probably not ... but I'd guess they'd come closer than AAA.

Your best rate is always an ATM but the fees charged by your own bank can negate those advantageous rates, so you really have to do the math.

The other thing to consider is how much cash are you changing? Unless you're talking gobs of money, a few points difference on the exchange rate doesn't usually amount to all that much. For that reason, I usually go for convenience rather than burn up a whole lot of time and energy seeking the "best" rate. (I learned this after a "friend" schlepped me all over a town in Spain looking for the "best rate". Six hot and sweaty hours later, she ended up doing the transaction at a place that netted her less than $10 more than if she'd done the deed at the first place we stopped at. Grrrrr!)

Good luck!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

LOL Llisa:) So true:)

Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

"would a casa de cambio match the oanda rates?"

Cambio will be around 12.8

Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Thank you. For you answers.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

Went to AAA 2-3 years ago to buy some pesos and their own employee advised me not to used them, that the rates were not very good, unless I just wanted to get $100 or so worth of pesos for taxi and dinner.

Maryland
Level Contributor
182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

I got about $1us for 12.4 peso at my bank here in US. I went forfor convenience I figure I will take about $200 worth of pesos and also us money so I am covered.

9. Re: Is this a good exchange rate for us $$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 06:15