We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Good morning,

My husband and I are looking for a nice resort to go to that is quiet and has good food. I am also looking for a resort with a laid back dress code. We both dress up for work and we like to be more casual on vacation. I have been to Le Blanc and loved it! This time I was looking at Royal Hideaway although, I know my husband will not wear anything dressier than a polo and khakis. Everything else about the resort looks great. Quiet, little night life and good food. Thoughts anyone?

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Easy...El Dorado Maroma :-). I found the breakfasts and lunches to be better than LB, but dinners not quite as good. Drinks were also not quite as good. It is a lovely resort, though. Also, A polo and khakis is fine at RH as well. We just returned from RH a few months ago and have visited all 3 resorts--EDM, RH, and LB-- if you'd like to read my reviews. I liked them all, but had different preferences in different categories, and compared them in the reviews.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 11:17
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Hi ck31.

I would say that your consideration of Royal Hideaway is a very good one. My husband & I have pretty well the same priorities as you, and we have been going to the area for more about 25 years now, staying at a number of different resorts, but we keep coming back to the RH. Have been 6 times, and going for a 7th.

My husband, like yours, has to dress up for work every day, and of course would prefer it if he could wear dress shorts and a collared shirt, but he manages just fine with light summer trousers and a collared shirt, sometimes a polo, sometimes a short sleeved summer weight shirt. The do specify no shorts in any restaurant at dinner, and no jeans in all but 2 of the dining venues.

We have also been to El Dorado Maroma, and while we had a nice vacation, we much prefer RH. Great food, and more choice of restaurants. I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the dress code is slightly more relaxed at EDM, although my husband dressed pretty well the same as at RH, and was comfortable with that.

I think either one may suit your needs. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like more info.

Happy planning!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

El Dorado Maroma would be my choice. Lovely boutique resort on a very small and private beach with tons of chairs and no towel games. Rooms are modern and fresh (not the case at RH when we saw the rooms, which are clean and charming, but we prefer the rooms at EDM) and staff is wonderful.

No dinner reservations at EDM and this is a biggie for us as we prefer not to hassle with required reservations. There are 4 dinner ala carte options at EDM and two options for breakfast and lunch. Three pools to choose from, each with its own personality. And there is some nightlife though not a lot.

We are headed to EDM in 8 weeks for stay #4 and are already booked for 2015. Of the 20 or so AI resorts in MX we have been to over the past 8 years, it is definitely a favorite. The other top resorts on our list are Grand Velas and LeBlanc; EDM just has something special about it that keeps bringing us back.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

I too would recommend the EDM, we have been 8 times and have trip #9 booked for Aug/Sept. DH usually brings a pair of Khakis to wear at night but dress shorts are fine with a collared shirt. There will actually be a new restaurant opening in the near future (waiting to hear on the opening date) and it will be a gastropub type of dining and is located above Sabores restaurant (which will bring the dinner choices to 5 ala carte options and in high season they usually have Pepitos open for dinner as a steakhouse so depending upon when you go, it would be 6). I have also requested the menu for the new restaurant and all of the others have their menus on the Karisma website: karismahotels.com/hotelsresorts/foradultsonl… if you haven't already checked it out.

I am more than happy to help with any detailed questions you may have on the El Dorado Maroma as are CG, RM and Suzie (who will probably be along shortly and is going for visit #10 in May)!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

My choice would be the Royal Hideaway. Men can wear polo and khakis at night. It is laid back and quiet at night. Outstanding food and service. Smaller resort only about 225 rooms. On a great beach where you can walk for miles. Playa only about 25 minute walk via the beach. Located in the gated community of Playacar.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Just to add to your confusion, I preferred the food for dinners at RH (though I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be and t hought they were better at LB) but much preferred the no reservation system at EDM. We were able to make all of our reservations in advance at RH, and next trip, would know better exactly when we wanted to eat. It was nearly impossible to change them once there, though, unless we wanted to dine at 6pm.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

Thank you to all of you for your advice! I am still on the fence. This will be our first all inclusive experience together in over 10 years. Mainly because my husband really hates the dress codes at resorts. We had visited a Sandals resort back in 2004 and did not enjoy it at all. I went on a last minute trip a few years ago with my mom and sister to Le Blanc and it redeemed my faith in an all inclusive experience and now I am trying to get my husband on board! I really am just looking for a sleepy, quiet hotel, nice beach and good food. The one thing I didn't like about RH is how late the dinners were served. I really am looking for a sleepy location! :) Am I missing any resorts?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

ck31, don't know how relevant this is, but we have just been checking out the Viceroy. I ave absolutely no knowledge of it whatsoever, but it looks awesome. And so does the price!! Mucho dollars! Fo sure we won't be going there, but it is there, and one we don't hear much about.

A note re RH reservations. Early ones are not a problem, or haven't been for us. Most restaurants open at 6, 6:30, or 7. We usually go at 7 or 7:30.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 22:11
America, The...
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

I think you'll like EDM better then. It's not surrounded by other resorts, except for Generations Maroma, which is small and sometimes unoccupied. RH has noisy resorts on either side and a lot of beach traffic because of it. You won't find the towel game at EDM. It's very peaceful. I am not a Sandals fan either for many reasons, and I think EDM is the anti-Sandals. There are also Zoetry (bad beach and children) and Blue Diamond (bad beach, few restaurant options) but I would not recommend them over the others recommended here.

Akandal, Suzie, and Caviargal are the real EDM experts, with a ton of trips among them. I was there only once, but it was during Christmas week...and it was even peaceful then, so I can imagine how much I'd love it during a non-holiday week. There are, of course, other options outside of Mexico, but I'd highly recommend this one if you want to stay in this region.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 22:14
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet all inclusive/ great food little night life

I think pants in MX are oppressive and I prefer staying at Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres where I can wear shorts and sandals at night, have a candle it beachfront dinner with my toes in the sand, enjoy the convenience of AI but still eat at local restaurants.

Nonetheless, I don't think you will find a resort where men can't wear a polo and pants at even the best a la carte restaurant. The main issue for men is the footwear. Most nice resorts require closed toes shoes so that outlaws most sandals. A pair of canvas boat shoes will do. If your SO doesn't mind pants in tropical weather, you shouldn't have an issue anywhere.