We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
529 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Hello,

We are a family of 5 (hubby kids 13,10,9 and myself) staying at a condo in playacar.

I would very much like to do a day trip to tulum. I've used the search and found some options but not sure what's best.

I've read the colectivo is easy and inexpensive but I'm not sure how easy it would be with all 5 of us. So, don't know if that's a viable option.

We could taxi, but from what I'm reading that sounds like an expensive day. If it gets too expensive, I'm afraid hubby will nix going there all together.

I suppose we could rent a car but I'd rather not, if its the cheapest way though, I'd do it.

We are planning on doing an adventure day with edventures and tulum is an optional add-on. However, it sounds as though there's only time for the ruins and I was really looking to spend some time on the beach down below and then spend the rest of the day at one of the beach clubs.

For a family of 5, what do you think is the best option? Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Take a taxi into PDC. Walk to the corner of Calle 2 & 15th streets (Streets are numbered.) Colectivos gather there. As you are getting on at the beginning of the route you should all be able to get on the same colectivo. Tell the driver where you're going and he'll leave you off at the intersection that leads to the ticket booth. Buy a ticket for the trolley that will take you to the entrance booth.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 19:46
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

How much should all of this be? a good estimate.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Taxi for 5 may mean a larger taxi van, sometimes double the cost of a regular taxi (400 + pesos)

You may want to email one of the private transfer companies (AGI, Canada, USA) and ask for a quote

With a private van, you tell them where you want to go and when

Add in a Tulum beach Club, a cenote, a visit to Akumal

Prices run 200-300$

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

We are also a family of 5 (now 6) and just take the colectivos. That would be 35 pesos each (a cab would likely not hold 5, so you would have to get a taxi van which would double the cost of a taxi). Very easy and do Tulum on your own. Make sure to wear your bathing suits as there is a nice beach there. We then usually take the colectivo into the town of Tulum and do some shopping (find it a little cheaper than PDC) and then have lunch there. Then take a colectivo back to PDC. Very easy:)

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
529 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Wonderful! I'm very happy to hear colectivos are still an option with a family. Thank you all!

I had planned on doing akumal along with a trip to tulum. However, I read about barracudas and (although I read its fine as long as you don't wear silver) I am a very nervous mother so I thought it'd be good to have others more knowledgable than me to come with us so was considering adding that on to our edventure day. It's very reasonable to do so. (I know, I'm sure the more experienced snorkelers are rolling their eyes now lol)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

No problem about barracudas. I am here now and we saw some. They basically won'y bother you if you don't bother them.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:28
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Take the ADO bus there. Check the schedule and take one that stops at the ruins...or go to the Tulum bus station then take a taxi to the ruins.

Schedule here

ado.com.mx

Taxis to get around the area then bus, taxi or colectivo back.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:41
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Youo can get there via colectivo, two taxis, taxi van or rental car (we had a rental). Tulum will only take an hour or two max, take water it gets hot there and not much shade. Then get a couple of taxis to a Tulum beach club - the colectivos and bus do not go to the Tulum hotel zone so it is either taxi or rental car. I far prefer the clubs along the southern end of the hotel zone as their beaches are wider and less rocky. Personally I like Ziggy's at Cabanas Tulum but there are a lot of others. Not a fan of the beach below the ruins. I just think all those people walking around in the hot sun, drinking lots of water, no bathroom inside the ruins and shallow water, nope that is a total turnoff for me. Sorry maried.

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
529 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice!

10. Re: Best way for a family of 5 to day trip to tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:17