We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with family AI resort!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with family AI resort!

Hi Everyone,

It is so overwhelming trying to choose a resort! We are a family of three (parents and one boy who will be turning 13 just before we arrive). We are planning a trip to Riviera Maya from 11/22/14-11/29/14. We initially started looking at PDC to see the ruins, cenotes, etc. After realizing how many areas there are and how many resorts I’ve found from PDC down to Tulum, PDC doesn’t necessarily have to be our destination.

Can you please offer your advice on the best resorts in the Riviera Maya based on our interests and things we are looking for? My son is very active and loves sports. My wife and I love food and would like to have good alcoholic drinks. We are looking for a large room with a private bedroom, good food, nice beach with beverage service, lots of activities for a 13 year old active boy. Would like something a little more upscale but not necessarily luxury. I think the biggest priority is that our son can stay busy.

We were initially going to book Paradisus-La Esmerelda in PDC but I’m a little concerned about the size of the beach and possible lack of activities. Our top choices are Paradisus and Grand Palladium in Akumal. Any comments on these resorts or other suggestions? Thanks!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Palladium is hugely popular, but its also huge and that's what has turned us off. But it has its fans who Im sure will chime in.

The Barceló Maya complex consists of 5 resorts with varying amenities that also vary on price. The Palace is the most upscale there and may be a good fit. One thing Barceló has that many do not is great on site snorkeling.

The Iberostar Paraiso resorts are further north than Palladium and Barceló, and its another complex that is family friendly. IB* really has many activities for kids. The Maya is the highest level resort in that complex.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check those two resorts out further. Do you have one that you would reccomend over the other?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Does anyone else have other suggestions or comments about the resorts we are thinking about? Any reply is appreciated!

Boston
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

The Palladium has a teen club, and lots of activities. We picked it for our upcoming vacation with our teens based on info from this forum. Also, it is in convenient location along the highway to catch the collectivo bus and get to Tulum ruins, Playa and Akumal, do if you do want a break from the resort you can do a cheap DIY excursion. The Segway tours of the resort ($40) get high marks with teens, as well.

Unlimited alacartes, 24 hour beach bars and muliple buffets mean good food choices. No waitress service on beach though. No room service right now, but rumor has it it will soon be avilable for a small fee. Not sure about availability of suites. Very specific info available on a few unofficial websites. The sports center sounds great.

I have heard that Sandos Playacar has good teen programs. dont know about room setup. Moon Palace has amazing activities and some family rooms but the beach is nothing like the beautiful Playacar beach.

We leave for Palladium in 19 days, I will have better info after our visit.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Great, thanks for the reply. Have fun!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Sandos Playacar for sure - hands down would be my pick and the pick of my 15 year old twins. We went on a a day pass in December and fell in love with the property.

Chicago
Level Contributor
728 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

The Palladium has loads of activities for a 13 year old. I did not think that the food was great though. Maybe there are some other suggestions involving separate bedroom suites. The Palladium White Sands has family suites, but I don't know if they have a separate bedroom.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

Sandos Playacar Hacienda has separate bedroom I hear .. and there are many activities for both teens and adults

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

grand palladium all the way its the best resort everrrrrrrrr

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with family AI resort!

I've heard great things about the Palladium so it's on our radar. We (myself, hubby and 10 year old son) wre just at the Barcelo Tropical and loved it so I think either would be great choices.