We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food safety

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
food safety

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to the Riviera Maya in May. Looking forward to it! I just received a leaflet from the health department when I received my vaccinations. I will stay in an all inclusive resort. Following reading the leaflet, I now have the following questions: can I assume that fruit/raw vegetables on the buffet are washed with mineral water instead of tap water? What about ice cubes in drinks in the resort? And brushing teeth with tap water, is that OK? I would like to receive some reactions from people that already have been there in an all inclusive resort and if such precaution is needed or a little bit exorbitant. Thank you!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,802 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: food safety

quote mineral water instead of tap water? What about ice cubes in drinks in the resort?

Its all from purified water - not mineral (Aqua Mineral) water - even outside your resort.

Tap water. While its usually filtered at resorts, it may contain more minerals so its not recommended to drink it

I brush my teeth with it

Wife uses bottled water.

Your choice

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,613 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food safety

We have been to Mexico nine times so far and have never gotten ill and have had ice, drank bottled water, eaten loads of fruit and salad produce

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food safety

The AIs take extensive precautions and prepare thousands of meals a day. My feeling is any tummy issues are due to abusing food, alchool, sun, too many coconut based drinks(laxative).. Drink plenty of bottled water and all things in moderation. We also use the plentiful limes in out water and on our food. Limes kill bacteria.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: food safety

I think you'll be fine.

That said, there is no sort of magical protection or greater safety surrounding the food/drinks at AI resorts. What you eat and drink there, like the people who prepare it, all come from the same sources. Indeed you'll see arguments here the opposite way: that buffets by their very nature may be more susceptible to issues related to their open-air, serve yourself type of access and keeping foods properly heated/cooled, etc.

Steve

Edited: 04 April 2014, 17:06
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food safety

"The AIs take extensive precautions and prepare thousands of meals a day"

I agree 100%. Now if people would only wash their hands 100% of the time after using the rest room and before they hit the buffet line we'd be on to something.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food safety

The Yucatan peninsula, unlike most of Mexico, has miles of underground rivers. The water in the cenotes and underground rivers is very clean compared to other parts of Mexico. The Mayan Riviera has some huge filitration plants to further clean the water. There are some huge plants along the coast that use reverse osmosis to purify the water. Reverse osmosis is used by Coco Cola and Pepsi to purify the water used to make their soft drinks, and make their bottled water. Quite a few resorts use reverse osmosis for their tap water, but most places offer bottled water for their guests. We brush our teeth with tap water, and have never had a problem. We drink the bottled water because it's so plentiful.

I think the sand can cause some problems, and folks should really wash their hands good after coming into contact with the sand and ocean water.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food safety

I have a sensitive stomach and usually experience some form of the revenge by day two or three...rich drinks, much more food than I normally eat in one day and rich deserts. I always bring immodium and in most cases have to use a half a tablet twice daily.

I always brush with bottled water and be warned that the cheap tequila can be the culprit in some cases. If possible, ask for premium tequila if your resort offers it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food safety

I and many I know use probiotics for two weeks before we leave. No problems at all last week.

West Townsend...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: food safety

We stayed at RPM a few weeks ago. Very nice and clean. Just a lot of people contacting every surface.

We ate like we would never eat again. Drank crazy blender drinks by the bucket full. Went to 5th ave every night. Visted Isla mujeres, Coba ruins, jungle tours, ceonote got a mouth full of water. Xplor got a mouth full of water, (zip lines scared me to the brink of a corinary). Tap water brushing. Drank the bottled water ( maybe not enough) or not enough tequila ?

3 of 4 us got diahrea. Bought Peto at the store, It did not slow us down.

Chicago
Level Contributor
728 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food safety

We've been to Mexico at least 15-17 times and have never had a problem. We routinely have ice, raw fruit and veggies, etc. We drink bottled water, or the water you get at the bar if we are at an all inclusive. There are some resorts that have a water filtration system at the resort, so you can drink tap water. If you are staying at one of the Iberostars at the Playa Paraiso, you can drink the tap water.