We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

Hello

I need your advice,

Planning a trip to PDC with a friend of our teens.

His parents will not travel with us. What do we need for immigration?

3 years ago only a simple form was ok but now I think there is a new law.

The teen is 17 year old.

Thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

The child must have their own passport.

It's also highly recommended that the parents provide you with a signed, notarized letter of consent allowing you to take their chld out of the country. There's a REALLY good chance that you won't be asked for it - either in Montreal or Mexico - but if you're asked and don't have it, you could be denied boarding or turned back at Cancun airport. A format of the letter recommended by the Canadian government can be found here - travel.gc.ca/travelling/…consent-letter

It's also a good idea for the parents to provide you with a similar letter authorizing you to seek medical attention for the child - hopefully, you won't need that but better safe than sorry.

In a similar vein, you'll want to ensure that the child has adequate and appropriate travel medical coverage.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

Very well said Llisa. Better to have both and need neither, than to need either and have none (imo).

¡Que se diviertán!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

I also heard people saying before that it might have to be in Spanish and noterized as well.

Because they are 17 they may be considered an "adult" for air travel. Most underage service stuff ends once a person turns 16. So in actuallity you may not need anything for them to travel with you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,209 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

¨ So in actuallity you may not need anything for them to travel with you.¨

You MAY not need it. But, as Llisa said so well, why risk it?

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

We traveled with my son's girlfriend when she was 17. We had signed, notarized letters from both parents. In actuality, all she ended up needing was her passport.

It would be such a massive hassle, though, to learn at the airport that you needed a letter you didn't have. Why not prepare for that eventuality?

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

I just picked up my documents for my May trip. Enclosed was a notice saying that Air Tran now requires a notarized letter of consent for the person traveling if they are not with their parents, If traveling with only one parent they need a notarized letter from the non traveling parent.. The ages for this are 17 and under. I wouldn't want to take a chance. Get the letter just in case so you don't possibly ruin a vacation.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 20:00
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

What is about having to translate a document in Spanish? I can't find anything about this on the web.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

I believe the requirement for the document to be in Spanish applies to MEXICAN children only - here's an excerpt from the Mexican Embassy in Canada website (…sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php/visas-and-s…):

Migratory Regulations – Travel of minors

A Decree was published on December 2, 2013, reforming the provisions of the Migratory Law Regulation corresponding to the travel of minors under 18 years of age; this will come into effect on January 24, 2014.

FOREIGN MINORS (UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE) TRAVELLING TO MEXICO ALONE OR WITH A THIRD PARTY OF LEGAL AGE (GRANDPARENT, AUNT/UNCLE, ETC.) AS VISITORS (TOURISTS OR WITH A SHORT STUDY STAY OF UP TO 180 DAYS), DO NOT REQUIRE authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or guardians. Mexican migratory authorities will allow these minors to leave Mexico upon presentation of a valid passport.

The Canadian government requirements for minors departing or entering Canada may be consulted at the following webpage:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children

IMPORTANT NOTE

Minors under 18 years of age (girls, boys, adolescents or those under legal guardianship) who are of Mexican nationality or foreigners holding the migratory status of Permanent Resident, Temporary Resident or Temporary Student Resident, who are in Mexico and wish to travel abroad alone or accompanied by a person of legal age other than one of their parents, must present:

1. Notarized document in which those holding parental authority or guardianship authorize the minor’s departure from Mexico, granted before a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths, or;

2. The document issued by the National Migration Institute (INM), in the format published for this purpose, available at the following webpage: www.inm.gob.mx

If the parents or holders of parental authority or guardianship choose to authorize the minor’s departure from Mexico with the document granted before a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths, the document must specify the mode of transportation, destination and date of travel. If this document is issued abroad (Canada) it must be legalized at the Mexican Consulate or the Embassy of Mexico in Canada. In addition, this document must be accompanied by a translation into Spanish. Mexican offices abroad do not provide translation services.

Minors under the age of 18 travelling with at least one of their parents or guardians DO NOT require authorization or a letter of consent.

According to this, the letter of consent that I recommended in post #1 NOT required by the Mexican Government. However, it's possible that your airline may require it.

Either way, getting a notarized letter of consent shouldn't be too onerous (especially since it does not have to be translated into Spanish). Maybe I'm overly cautious but I still recommend you get the notarized consent because the potential downside (and expense) of not having it and being asked for it is so huge.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

At one point a law was introduced requiring notarized translations into Spanish of a consent letter for all minors not traveling with both parents - that law was rapidly rescinded so a letter in English is fine.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with fa friend of your teen.

Thank you everyone :-)