We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

I have read on another travel forum of three separate incidences in the past two weeks of guests confirmed at La Perla being bumped to Esmerelda. This is unacceptable IMO as if you are confirmed at an AO resort you should never be bumped to a family resort.

Has this happened to anyone here? We are headed there in August and I would not be happy with a bump.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

Hi!

I was to Paradisus La Perla in May last year, and they DID tried to change us to the Esmeralda part which I refused. They really tried to convinced me by saying we would have an upgrade room with a balcony jacuzzi, which we didn't care. Then they told us there wasn't any available room at La Perla (lie). Then I got really upset. Obviously I paid more money for La Perla and I booked there because it's an only adults resort.

The receptionnist had a very bad attitude, she was extremely rude and snob and took us for idiots by lying to us (she said there is no more room but then when I got upset suddenly an empty room appeared by magic?). So I am suprised to see that post and hear it happenned to others!

We finally got our room at La Perla after argumentation. Despite the bad welcome, it was a great hotel. It's actually the only negative point I have to say about this hotel. I really hope they got ride of that desk girl.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
680 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

Caviargirl:

We were there last Ocober and no issues with that at all. We booked Royal Service ocean view. I thought everything was fantastic. Just curious what "other" forum you use. Please pm me.

Thanks!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

I can't imagine you'd have an issue in August.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

August as in Labor Day weekend, which can be busy.

Letsgo, my other forums are on FB and are closed groups.

Level Contributor
61 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

We were just at la perla last week and had no issues at all. We booked a royal luxury junior suite and that's exactly what we got

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

Letsgoblackhawks - how was your view for the RS oceanview? :)

..that's what we've upgraded to for our upcoming trip in 11 sleeps.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

I'm thinking this may be the resort that was on the forums a while back about booking large corporate groups or conventions and bumping occured then. I could be wrong, but perhaps you could email them and ask about the week you will be going. (Not sure how truthful they'd be though if this is a common practice.) Good luck. I would not be happy either. I don't understand how resorts think you would like a family resort when you've booked an AO.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
680 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

You could definitely see the ocean beyond the mangroves, it was a great resort and I highly recommend the Royal Service. Because I am completely computer illiterate and do not how to post a link to photos, if you PM with your email address I will send you some pictures from the room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

Will do. Thanks.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confirmed La Perla Guests being Bumped to Esmerelda?

CG:

I sifted through the past 1 year of reviews and there were about 6 cases where there was an attempted "bait and switch" to Paradisus Cancun actually. There seemed to be a slight increase in the peak months of Feb and March.

I sure wish I could go back to the old Royal Cancun but alas their smoking policies make that a poor choice for me. I never did thank you for turning me on to the Royal two years ago as an option from Jamaica. You were dead right, the Royal was perfect for my wife and I!

So....a late THANK YOU!