We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The view in the suit

Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The view in the suit

So - planning my first trip with my family to Playa in January. We have never been to an actual "ocean beach" just at the lake during the summers. I am overweight and so is my 18 year old son. Most times during the summer we are in shorts and T-shirts. My husband and daughter are fortunately thin and dont have that problem.

My question - are there ALL shapes and sizes in these resorts? I would love to put on a swimsuit and enjoy the pool and water without the T-shirt but I am embarrassed that my son and I will be the only overweight ones there in one. Do people tend to stare a lot?

Sorry for the silly question but its really bothering me.

Thx!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The view in the suit

Hi Tamsha, I haven't been to Playa del Carmen yet but have travelled to lots of beach locations. People come in all different shapes, sizes and colors. Isn't that the way it should be? I would say to use the pool without the t-shirt and just use a nice cover-up when you get out. In my area all the beach cover-ups go on sale after 4th of July, I'll bet you could find one easily where you live too.

Have fun!

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The view in the suit

There are all shapes and sizes in Playa. Also there are so many really attractive plus size suits and matching cover up. It's a great place, relax and enjoy yourself.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The view in the suit

Please don't worry. All shapes and sizes. And believe it or not, all shapes and sizes bathing topless and all shapes and sizes in speedos!! No one seems to care in the least. Put on your bathing suit, stand tall and have a good time.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The view in the suit

Hi Tamsha

I have seen this question on other boards.

justcallmemom is 100% RIGHT

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The view in the suit

Thanks midon1. I have been trying to tell my husband that for the past 20 years. He just doesn't seem to get it. I am always 100% right!! lol

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The view in the suit

I myself am overweight and I am self conscience about it. There is every size represented there. Please do not feel embarressed. Believe me you will feel good when you see some of the skippy thong suits some people who shouldn't be wearing a bikini running around. Most people stare at the skippy clothed people. I myself am going to wear a suit and enjoy myself and I can care less what others think of me. I am there to enjoy myself.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
522 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The view in the suit

tamsha

OMG Girl!!! You need not to worry honey.....All sorts of people on the beach.....different shapes in sizes in speedos, thongs, (men too!!!) and on the beach there are the all in thier glory topless sunbathers...(wont see the gun shows at the pools tho) :) :) I say live it up put on your bathin suit and strut your stuff baby...its all in your attitude...I am an average size girl but I am a bit top heavy...I too can get self conscience about bikins and the tops I wear and how people never look into my eyes...hahah but you know what...I put on my bikini and go for it... I worked hard to go vavcation and Im gonna enjoy it...have a blast honey!! Most people you meet are very nice and that is the last thing on anyones mind....

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The view in the suit

are they paying for your vacation? NO so dont worry about it . if you wear a swim suit and they stare hike it into a thong and get them really looking!!! there are all diffrent sizes of people and attire there. ASK YOURSELF 2 THINGS DO I WANT TO HAVE FUN? AND WILL I EVER SEE THESE PEOPLE AGAIN? then just have a blast

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The view in the suit

don't worry. We all get hung up on what we are supposed to look. There are very few people who have the perfect body. Models get their pictures retouched. There are old and young overweight and fit (can happen) and skinny people with flabby areas. Nobodys perfect. Go and have wonderful time a smile is the most flattering feature on everyone.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The view in the suit

We fluffy people do just fine at the resorts. I finally found a bathing suit (Lord & Taylor - on sale - 50% sale) that FITS, has a small skirt, and I dont feel bad walking around (now I cant do anything to hide the legs - LOL!!!!. For the older bathing suits (lands end tank suits) where the fat rolls shows (again LOL!!!), I bought 2 prs of the swimshorts (bottom part of a 2 piece suit) and I wear it swimming and again, I am more comfortable walking around.

I have seem some people in 2-pc and speedos that definitely should have looked in the mirror.

I've seen women topless who NEVER, EVER should do that.

Wear whatever makes you happy. Staring comes with the territory.