We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help guys

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help guys

So I just remembered that I paid our deposit in pesos and when I get it back I'm not sure how to convert it back to US dollars. Should I ask if they can give the deposit back in us dollars ? I didn't even think about this but I don't want to go home with pesos and be stuck with them. Thanks guys!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help guys

Confused, don't you just put your deposit towards your payment ?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help guys

We paid the deposit upon arrival. They will give it back the day before we check out

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help guys

You have a few options:

1. ask them to refund your deposit in dollars - but watch the conversation rate they use to avoid getting screwed over;

2. if you get your refund in pesos, you can exchange them for US dollars at a bank or cambio before leaving Mexico;

3. you can exchange your pesos for dollars when you get back home; or

4. my personal favourite, hang on to your pesos ready for your next trip.

Bear in mind that ANY time you do a currency exchange, you will lose money to some extent (which is why 4 is my favourite).

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help guys

One is never "stuck" with pesos, upon return to U.S. or most countries you can take them to your bank, mine does it for 5 bucks, and convert to USD. It goes directly into your account, takes a couple days. In fact, I get pesos before even getting on the plane thus avoiding 10-30% conversion fees. Saves on the ATM fees too and gives you a reason to use that safe lol.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help guys

Thanks guys the deposit was 2000 pesos. I sent the manager an email and asked if he could return it in us dollars at 153$ i also told him I would be okay if he returned it via paypal. We will see:)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help guys

That's not wildly out of line but it is a pretty optimistic exchange rate. In your position, I'd be very happy at US$150 and would even consider anything over $140 simply to avoid the hassle of doing a currency exchange elsewhere.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help guys

Yeah I'd be fine with 140 haha. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help guys

I am very confused. Are you there now or have gone and come home already?

First you say you paid your deposit upon arrival and that you would get it back the day before you leave.

Now you say you emailed the manager to inquire about getting the deposit back in $, possibly through paypal.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 21:37
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help guys

It's all been taken care of. It was a security deposit. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help guys

Glad it worked out, but I'm still not clear what happened.