We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ATM's to use

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Best ATM's to use

Hi everyone, I tried looking in the sticky's and using the search but couldn't find an updated post or list anywhere -- so if I missed it please forgive me!

My girlfriend and I are leaving Friday for a week (ahh!). I initially was going to get pesos before and take with us but no local banks offered it around me. So, I think I decided I am going to use my debit card at an ATM and just withdrawal pesos (enough for collectivos, entrance fees to parks, etc - I'm thinking $100?). Based off of what I read on here that seems to be the best option. On to my questions:

1. What is a good "safe" bank ATM I can trust? I know people have said it's best to use an attached ATM but I'm looking for some bank names and locations around 5th avenue.

2. I know this will vary but on average how much would everyone say the 'transaction fee' will be for me to use my card internationally? What has everyone else experienced as the norm? (I called my bank but they were not able to offer me any help as to how much it will cost to use internationally).

As always, THANKS in advance. Everyone on here is simply amazing and really helps the vacation anxiety go away :)

Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best ATM's to use

The bank charged us 3% of the total transaction for the "International Processing Fee" I bank with U.S. Bank. It is my understanding that Capital One does not charge an International Fee for cash withdrawals. We considered using our Capital One visa card this year to avoid this fee.

I pulled up last year's bank statement. We took out $5500 in pesos one day. After conversion this was $421.13 in USD. My bank charged me $12.63 for this transaction. I knew this beforehand. We only needed to take out money three times. My total in "International Processing Fees" were roughly $36.

We only stayed 6 nights. When we go in June we are only staying 6 nights again. If we were staying longer and spending more money, we would consider finding a bank with a cheaper fee.

Your bank should know the International Processing Fee. I called US Bank before we left and they gave the rate. This is why I was able to budget before we left.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best ATM's to use

Thanks!

Montana
Level Contributor
328 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best ATM's to use

We always use the ATM in the airport, but also always try to hit up the one on 30th near Mega; it's an HSBC and has an attached bank, so if you go during business hours, they'll change big bills for you if desired. We were there last November, and they had raised the limit to $7000 pesos, which was the highest we've found in the area. We took out the full $7000 ($533.03 USD) and we were charged a $2 ATM non-bank fee, $1.06 currency conversion, and $4.26 for the actual withdrawl, which is pretty darn cheap. We have a Capital One card, but we don't take cash advances from it; we will use it in places that will accept MasterCard, like Chedraui, etc, because Capital One doesn't charge an international transaction fee when used as a charge card, but I wouldn't use it as an ATM card. On our last trip, we took out a total of $1844 (US equivalent) from ATMs, and were charged $26.80 in fees, so I wouldn't sweat it. Have fun!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best ATM's to use

Speaking of Capital One, if your bank charges foreign transaction/conversion fees, consider getting a Capital One 360 online checking account. Like the Capital One mastercards/Visas, there are no foreign conversion fees, and since it is a checking account, there is no cash advance fee/interest. I have a Capital One 360 online checking account just for international travel. I can easily perform online transfers between that account and my regular checking or savings account (at my local credit union) without any fee. It does take about 5 days for transfers to clear, so you do have to plan ahead a little, but I just load it up a week before I leave. I am very happy with it.

15. Re: Best ATM's to use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16