We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booze at the airport

Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
booze at the airport

I guess we will no longer be able to buy booze at the duty free shops at the gates prior to departing for the US.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booze at the airport

The duty free shops In toronto are located in the "sterile area" and are given to you upon boarding. The "sterile" area is after your personal belonging have gone throught the x-ray machine and are past security.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booze at the airport

Lindo, my read on this situation is that no liquids allowed on board so leaving Cancun if you buy booze (if even possible now) then it will not be allowed on board. I suspect that those shops that have primarily liquid products will close. Anyone recently back from Cancun who can address the impact on the shops in the waiting/boarding area?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booze at the airport

co pilot, you a probally right on the return flight, but we always purchase a couple of bottles on our way down. Even though we are at an all inclusive we still like a good quality drink once in a while. Trust me there will not be any coming back with us :).

Pacifc Northwest
Level Contributor
113 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booze at the airport

I actually lost sleep trying to figure out how to still bring alcohol back next month.

The only way I could figure out is to have one person check -in to get their boarding pass, have them go through andbuy then return to check-in and pack the awaiting bag with the goods. Which would be extremely time intensive.

Also came to conclusion to bring a couple extra towel & bubble wrap to make sure the bottles arrive home safely regardless of the baggage handlers.

Yeah, next time I may take a sleeping pill to stop thinking.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booze at the airport

Laura, I would verify what you are allowed to take south before you check in your lugage. Actually before you leave home since if you want to take some adult beverage and it must be checked then special packing is in order.

MI
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booze at the airport

If the duty free booze stores are still there, then your best bet is to buy it when you arrive so that you can pack it away as safe as possible for the return home.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booze at the airport

you cannot access duty free when you arrive. It is beyond security in the outbound lounge. You are not permitted in there without a boarding pass. Also you have to show a boarding pass to purchase any duty free. Also to the poster who was thinking of going through and purchasing, then coming back out, no way, you won`t get through without your BP and once through security you aren`t allowed back out

Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: booze at the airport

I guess I will be buying my tequila in town and packing it in my check bags.

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: booze at the airport

The last post would be the best solution. Just buy the alcohol in town and pack it in the bags you are going to check. I have always put bottles of alcohol in my checked baggage and never have had a broken bottle. Just be sure to wrap each individual bottle in a towel or shirt and you should be fine. I brought back 8 bottles from my most recent trip (returned 8/2) - all in my checked luggage.

Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booze at the airport

Just give it a couple of weeks. The government has a short memory. They may not ease all the restrictions, but mark my words - there WILL be exceptions made for duty free liquids (liquor, perfume, etc.) I'd say by the end of August.