We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the wall restaraunts

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Hole in the wall restaraunts

Thoughts on any "must eats"? We love eating at hole in the wall places, not really anything on 5th ave!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

Palenegro, 26th Calle just 1 lot west of 10th Avenue.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

LA Portena the corner of 38th street and 5th ave, yummy!!!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

La portena is legit. Any food carts with lots of people at them.

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
277 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

Definitely not a "hole in the wall" but if you want a complete grilled lobster dinner for under $20 or a surf and turf for $22, visit La Mission. 10 Ave Entre Juarez Ave Y Calle 2 North. Cute and authentic, it is the only place we have found in PDC that we have eaten at twice. (And that was in one trip!) I can tell you it is now an every trip for us. Plus, you can make reservations online at opentable.com.

Naramata, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

Try al volo on calle 34 for the blue cheese rolls, La bamba jaroche on avenida trentia for seafood. Pollo asasados de sinola on calle 2 for bbq chicken. Dona Mary's on avenida trentia for Mexican. Jamacian jerk chicken at ferrons, ave 105 and constitutyentes.

Tons of great places with good prices, you just got to get away from the tourist zone...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

I frequent hole in the wall places wherever I go. But I never ask. If many tourists know about them, they are likely not authentic hole in the wall. Just get well away from 5th Av. and do a bit of searching on your own. You will likely come across many good choices.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

Recently we have discovered Cafe Orange. Great hole in the wall joint with good prices & food. We did a review of them here on TA.

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

Thanks so much everyone! Excited to try some of these out!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
655 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

La Mission is awesome, but our always 1st place to eat when we get there is La Tarraya. It's the oldest restaraunt in Playa, and it's on the beach with cheap fresh seafood and a view that can't be beat!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the wall restaraunts

One of the best to open up recently in Playa is Don Chendo on 30th ave and calle 26 I believe. Spaghetti and meatballs were the best we've ever had, and people rave about the deep dish pizza as well. We love Romeo's on Calle 4th between 10th-15th ave as well. Best to go when they are not so busy though, as wait times can be long.