We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

We're highly considering doing carry-on only for our October trip and would just plan to buy sunscreen once there.

My question is...when we return to the airport for our outbound/returning flight home from what I recall we give our tourst card back at the luggage chcek-in counter. Is this correct or am I remembering wrong? Our goal would be to avoid the luggage check-in counter (American Airlines) but if we have to show our passport and return our tourist card at that point then we might as well check a bag and save the cost/time of hunting down sunscreen.

I found tons of information on arriving to the Cancun airport and what to do but couldn't remember the exact process of leaving. We've always checked bags so maybe I'm wrong but I thought the only thing after checking bags was security then find your gate.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

You also need a boarding pass which you get at the check-in counter. There are kiosks for some airline...I just do not remember who.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

We always only do carry on. We use the kiosks to get our boarding passes and turn in our tourist cards when boarding the plane. This is on American, and we've been really happy to do it this way since the check in/luggage lines are always huge.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

I think the kiosks are generic and you pick your airline on the touch screen. I'm pretty sure all of the major airlines were on there but can't be 100% sure.

You scan your passport at the kiosk to get your boarding passes after you input your flight info. It is so fast and easy, then after that you just have to clear security. It took us about 15 minutes to go from the front doors, getting boarding passes, and clearing security in January.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 16:00
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

KellieandDoug, in Cancun you turn in your (Mexican) Tourist card when you clear Immigrations upon departing (i.e. BEFORE you get to the International departure gate area). This is also the same place where they confirm you have paid your departure tax (in the USA it is included in your ticket price; in UK charter's it is not already included). In other departure cities in Mexico, I have turned in the Tourist card when I checked in (i.e. the ticket counter agent collected it). I do not know why it is different in different airports; another quandary of Mexico!

Se diviertan!

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

Lonestar, our last two trips we have handed in out tourist cards at the boarding gate when we scan our boarding passes to board the plane. Many others (I am assuming the people who checked in with the kiosks) did the same. Again, this was on American both times. It sounds like there are differences even in the same airport.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

CO_Pilot- we've always been able to pre-print the boarding passes or use the kiosk but we mainly fly American. A few weeks ago in Puerto Vallarta you HAD to print your boarding passes at the kiosk (the luggage check in people sent the people who didn't print theirs to the kiosks) which resulted in almost a 30 minute wait @ the kiosks, the luggage check-in was a breeze compared to printing the boarding passes.

Beachwanderer-that's exactly what I was wondering but Ive never seen anyone turn in their tourist cards in at the gate but honestly haven't been paying attention either. It's information like what LonestarGumby posted that has me confused.

LonestarGumby-you say you turn it in before you get to your gate, but at which point do you turn it? If not the luggage check-in counter, and I know it's not security...where? We've flown out of the Cancun airport 5-6 times but have always checked bags and turned it in there. If we avoid that step...I'm just tying to figure out where we do turn it in at. I'm certainly not waiting in the luggage check-in if I already have my boarding pass and am not checking in any luggage.

IF we end up doing carry-on only I guess I'm going to try it beachwander's way!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 17:16
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

KellieandDoug, I guess as BeachWanderer says, if you are avoiding the ticket counter and everything else, maybe there as you board the aircraft?? I guess the best answer is to hold it until someone somehow associated with the airport personnel ask for it; I keep my clipped inside the rear cover of the Passport with a paperclip for safe keeping.

Se diviertan!

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

We were really confused about what to do too the first time we by passed the ticket counter, lol. We asked an airport employee and followed his instructions, which was turn in at the gate. You save so much time doing it this way.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

Kelli- that is interesting info about PVR. We are going there for Christmas so thanks for the heads up.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry-on Only Question - Outbound flight

KellieandDoug, maybe I should not have said "when you clear Immigration", but it was an Immigration officer who collected the cards when he was confirming that everyone's ticket also included the Departure tax. He actually had a little podium with a stool that he sat on, and everyone had to pass his podium before entering the International Departure area (i.e. gate area) of the airport.

edited to add: In Pto. Vallarta, they have always collected my Tourist card at the ticket counter (United), but I am checking my bags.

Se diviertan!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 19:34