We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Rouge

Good day travellers,

Just passing on our view on Air Canada Rouge out of Montreal to Cancun.

My wife and I are a bit taler than average, but even if you are under 5'10", you will be uncomfortable for a four hour flight. For the return trip, we tried to upgrade by phone and at the counter. We were told because we booked for air Canada Vacations, they could not do it even thought there were open seats.

Air Canada's quality has declined over the past few years, but beware that Air Canada Rouge will have you feeling like cattle.

My honest opinion, a past Air Canada Customer

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada Rouge

It's pretty sad how Air Canada has changed so much.. I'll be traveling air canada Rouge in the next few weeks. I did upgrade to business class seats... I'm hoping it's worth it!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I did air crapola aka air canada rouge Toronto to Cuba, I would not recommed the sardine can to anyone, bring a can opener with you, It will only be the flight of last choice and then i will think twice about it. I am only 5 4 . i believe there is only 2 inches difference between business class and cattle seat.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 01:47
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada Rouge

While the Rouge aircraft have less space in coach than some airlines, it is usually a difference of 1 inch and in some cases 2 inches. The business class seats have an addtional 5 inches of legroom.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada Rouge

For all the people flying rouge that are complaining, have you not flown Enerjet, Canjet or Sunwing (all of which have 29' pitch planes)? I don't hear an outrage about that.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Canada Rouge

maried I have flown canjet and sunwing many times to cuba. I am only 5 4 and my knees have never been rubbing up against the seat in front of me like they were on Rouge. Rouge there is no entertainment bring your own.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Good points, maried. According to SeatGuru, the leg room is 29 or 30 on Rouge, depending on aircraft. The same as canjet and the others.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Clearly AC is paying attention to consumer surveys that say comfort/entertainment are not high priorities for consumers, falling to 4th or 5th place in reasons people choose a carrier. Frankly, I agree, as I am in the "just get me there" class, until the Beam me up Scotty technology is introduced. Consumers indicate that price and scheduling are more important than seat pitch etc.

Where AC has lost it, is addressing, my city, Edmonton. Clearly their CEO in a recent letter snubbed his nose at my city by canceling its Edmonton Heathrow service because we had the audacity to allow another airline into our airport to service Europe. I mean how dare we, he essentially said in a letter to our city paper.

So, now AC tells me that should I choose their airline to fly to Cancun I have to go thru the Center of the Universe (aka Toronto), pay the same amount as other carriers, be subject to weather delays in YYZ, and spend 6 more hours in-transit. I can't go thru Calgary, because I can't get back to Edmonton in 1 day without staying overnight in Calgary. So, why would anyone from Edmonton choose AC, when 3 other airlines can get me there with a direct flight in 5 hours at the same price.

Oh I forgot, AC is God's gift to Canadian air travelers.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Omg! I am 5'2" and I just barely fit in the seat. The poor guy beside me who was over 6 feet almost died on our 5 hour flight from Toronto to Barbados. And to our surprise if you want to watch a movie you have to pay $10 to rent an ipad. Air Canada has sure gone down hill.

Calgary
Level Contributor
996 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Que is WS an option for non stop flights from Edmonton

I agree about Toronto..I wouldn't connect through Toronto if it was half price! No need to. Also when flying to the US we always connect in an US city NOT Toronto as to avoid going through customs, security in such an awful airport (IMHO)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Matlock; Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually WS has direct flights, surprisingly 2 return direct flights, although one is a non-starter to me leaving at 6 AM. WS is pretty much the same price as Transat (TS). But likely will go with TS for a couple reasons. I beleive TS does not charge for sports equipment (scuba bag) and WS does and is talking about a charge on your first bag (AKA United Airlines). Will sort this out when we eventually book. The other thing I don't like about WS is you have to pay when you book, wheras with TS, you pay a deposit and then pay the balance, I think 60 days before you travel. My adage is.. why give the provider my money 5 months before I will go, unless they give me a significant savings. Just me. I know there is the option of going through someone else like a Signature Vacations, which we have done before and still flown with WS.

Frankly, while we were huge WS fans, the shine has come of this airline. But, I do love their social media campaigns :)