We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family summer get-away

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family summer get-away

We are a family of four with two 8-year-olds, excited to enjoy Playa in July. We are hoping for a recommendation on a very nice all inclusive with pools and activities for the kids with some simultaneous relaxation for my wife and I. We typically love beach vacations and this is the first time doing so this way with the kids, so we want to show them a great time. Flights to Cancun are booked already so that's all we're currently commited to.

Your suggestions on a resort appreciated!

Randy in Chicago

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,991 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family summer get-away

Iberostars are an excellent start

You didn't give a budget

Did you want a separate 1 bedroom suite?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family summer get-away

We are staying at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda at the end of July. We looked at several resorts in the area including Azul Beach, Dreams Riviera Cancun/Tulum, Grand Palladium, Barcelo and Iberostar. This resort won because we really wanted a one bedroom suite so we could have our own room and it meets our luxury desires. This is our first trip to Mexico with our 8 yr old. Good luck with your decision. So many places look great.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family summer get-away

Please reply with more detail & I'm sure you'll receive plenty of suggestions.

Our fave offering the best bang for the buck is Catalonia Riviera Maya in Puerto Aventuras, just a few miles south of Playa del Carmen. But you MUST GET A PRIVILEGE SUITE, not a standard room. It's two separate sleeping areas (close the door!), nicely furnished. It will price out like a standard room at most other resorts.

This is not a mega resort. You will feel comfortable & safe from the moment you arrive. It's about 4 minute walk from side to side on the beach & lobby to beach. Other mega resorts require train rides to get anywhere. Separation from each other is difficult. And you'll regret leaving something in the room once you get to a pool or beach.

Kids Club is possibly the best we've ever experienced. Your kids' age is 100% perfect for it. They will love it. We had to drag our kids away from activities! The staff takes them everywhere, from pool & beach, to indoor during hottest hours for crafts, to meals if you want. No extra charge...just a nice tip to the counselors is mucho appreciated.

Walk into the marina area to see (free to watch) dolphin swim. Plus other aquatic creatures. Cute little shops & restaurants.

Beach at hotel has rocky entrance but a few sandy chutes to get around the rocks to the sandy bottom & reef snorkeling area. It's only max 4 feet deep so your kids will LOVE snorkeling. Super easy, super safe. Suggest bringing your own gear. Costco, Target, even Walgreens has decent kid size masks with soft face skirting.

Love it,

SeaBass in Chicago

Go Hawks!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family summer get-away

I second the Paradisus La Esmeralda.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family summer get-away

I second Paradisus La Esmeralda.

If you want luxury, best food, new modern design, great pools, best kids programs (open until 10pm I believe so you can have a nice quite dinner without kids), then Paradisus would be my choice. We stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya which is a fun resort for kids (wave pool, lazy river, water park) but the food was terrible (even got sick), service also terrible (we are from NYC so we are spoiled) and the rooms were also blah (the money you pay-you expect much more).

We also heard good things about Barcelo Palace which is another great family resort.

GL

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family summer get-away

The Barcelo Palace is a great one for families.

Wonderful food, snorkeling right from the beautiful beach, fun water park and other activities and Kids Club for the kids, and the rooms are all junior suites and very large, tub AND shower (separate) and a separate room the WC. You can get two doubled beds or a King bed, plus there are two twin size daybed/couches that are good for kids to sleep on. (One large room, not separate.)

If the Palace is too rich for your budget, look at the Barceo Beach/Caribe (4 star) or the Tropical/Colonia sections (4.5).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family summer get-away

Ditto what SeaBass said!

Took our kids there last year...they loved it.

It was our 7th trip there, first time to take our kids...

I LOVE the Cat....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family summer get-away

I might add, we have taken our kids to Mexico before that trip...they have been 3X with us...most currently last year at the Cat...

the first time was to the Iberostar Pariaso Beach, the 2nd time was to the Princess Riviera Maya...

Those are huge (too big for my taste), we had fun, but the Cat was great...great restaurants, great marina, nice beach, plenty of activities.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family summer get-away

I highly recommend Sandos Playacar or coracol. Great for kids and adults. Sandos Playacar is walking distance or a very short cab into playa.

If you already have your flights booked. I would recommend booking through a royal elite member. You can choose either resort. You pay per room not per person. Then you pay the resort the all inclusive fee upon arrival. Around $70 pppn depending which resort you choose. And you get member benefits.

Royaleliteweeksrental google it.

I have booked through them and traveling in Jan.

Abilene, Texas
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Family summer get-away

My family and i stayed at Dolphin Dreams and it was pretty cool. We didn't want to stay in just the resort though so we wandered around Puerto Adeventuras and met the owner of h2oh! cruises and we decided to go on a sun cruise. It was phenomenal! The boat is a really big yacht that you have to see to believe; its the biggest in the marina. The tour offers snorkeling, fishing, sightseeing. The water we snorkeled in was beautiful and the marine life was amazing. Oops got off topic haha but it was really cool! I'd suggest staying anywhere in Puerto there are tons of things to entertain yourselves with.