We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Co.durham UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

I go to Playa del Carmen in less than 2 weeks, very excited. But look at the weather forecast, which is constantly changing, it says the majority of the holiday is cloudy, rain, and thunderstorms. Iv heard people say this just means a quick storm and it's gone, and others say their whole holiday was just rain! Now I know you can predict what the weather will do, but what is the most common and likely weather when it says this? A bit disappointed if I have paid all this money to go to the Caribbean and it's miserable weather! Thank you in advance

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

As everyone says, most of the time it's a chance of rain and it can be a quick one or a longer one. Most of the time, unless there is a major storm or depression, it's not bad. Most of the days it will be sunny at the end! We arrive tomorrow!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

You can't do anything about the weather, so no worries. We have been very lucky, one full rain out day in 34 weeks of vacations since 1999. My alternative plans for a wash out is getting drunk at one of the bars, oh wait, that's my modus operandi for every day.

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

I've watched it pour mercilessly on resorts a half mile down the beach, all from my lounger in the sun. Even when it does rain, it doesn't get everyone. I've never had a rain free trip, but I've never had a day washed out either.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,674 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

It actually says it says the majority of the holiday is SUN

with some rain, clouds (this means occasional thunderstorms - the norm in this Tropical Caribbean area)

And this is the start of the rainy season so the chances of thunderstorms are more frequent

You did research the weather first, right - if so, no need for disappointment

Leeds
Level Contributor
201 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Hi - I share your fears! We go to Mexico a week today (yippee!) and I've been looking with trepidation at the forecast. Some advice from the kind people on here was to look at the webcams around Playa del Carmen, that's helping. Also, I've heard from a number of sources that rain showers in Mexico aren't the gruelling, constant, depressing ones we get in the UK, much more likely to be short lived and dramatic! So, I'm preparing for the worst by packing an umbrella but hoping for the best. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of the weather,

Co.durham UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Yeah, I did have a look at a webcam, and the weather said that it was mostly cloudy today with showers, but the webcam looked lovely and sunny, with scattered clouds, I can deal with that though! Hope you have a lovely holiday!

Leeds
Level Contributor
201 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

You too! And from a look at the UK weather forecast for the next few days and from the sound of the rain hammering on the garden, it can't be any worse than this!

8. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15