We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal hideaway disappointment

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Royal hideaway disappointment

We are still here at the RH and I'm very disappointment in the service and food at this place. This is my second trip to RH and it has declined big time. Expect a detailed review upon my return. The saving grace so far has been the nice beach, the room is not bad, Aziza, the asian dining place and 2-3 staff members. I should have returned to Secrets Maroma.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

We are looking for a resort for our next trip. Please say more about what is wrong if you care to.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

I think the rooms are in desperate need of a refurb. They are not dirty at all, but worn furniture and baseboards, etc. is what they look like. We toured all the room categories and I'm sure we only saw the best and I was not impressed. The food was not good (the head chef prepared our meal twice and neither were good and one I sent back and I am not picky) and it seemed to be an absolutely quiet, dead place. Some want that quiet, so that is very subjective. I could not wait to get back to the Iberostar Grand

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

When were you there maried11? Not to dispute what you say, but we have just returned from our 7th visit, and each time we return we find something new has been added. This time it was Latin Dancing in Allegria, a fabulous beach party with fire show and reggae band. We even danced!!!! And lots of tasteful live music in different venues.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but we love it there.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

We were there Dec. of 2012.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

I think you might find a number of changes have taken place since then, with more going on right now. I think the powers that be are fully aware of the fact that their facilities need to be upgraded in order to compete with all of the newer resorts that have sprung up, and are presently working (unobtrusively) to achieve just that. That being said, I sincerely hope they don't feel the need to convert to a noisier, pool bar, pool music atmosphere, as we love the tranquillity of the place as it is now. Selfish, I know, but that's the way it is for us.

As I have said before, different strokes for different folks.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

Ok, my room is not bad at all. Sure it needs to be updated and the balcony needs to be redone, but its still a nice room despite it being a tad outdated. I kind of like the dark wood look and finish. it seems like there are new samsungs tvs, even though you have only 20 channels. That would bbe alright ifmone ofmthem were at least hbo, showtime, etc., for those who dont want all that action at night and just want to relax in bad after a day of sunning and then dinner. But thats not a game changer for me either way. The service here is the pits. First our conceirge i guess is off and the person who took over know nothings. Either they are calling tomthe front to ask or gives out bad information. For example, not knowing what the difference is between the 2places for breakfast and telling me that ventanas is openned for breakfast. Wrong its Spices and the deck. One sit down and one buffet. The deck is were i had my first lunch before our room was ready. That burger was the worst ever and the fries were cold and hard. We up eating the caprese salad only and then finally going to me room to order room service because the last time we had food was at 8am. Order some spicey wings and was tild if it wasnt on the menu that i couldnt order it. We just saw it on the menu at the deck, why cant it be ordered? kept calling to ask for a manager until they finally said ok. A 5 star hotel would never allow this at all. Well the wings was swimming with sauce, unedible. Dinner was good at the Asian place. Breakfast was just ok in Spices. Nothing terrible nothing to blow my socks off. OJ was never cold. Toaster set formthe wrong temp, because. All toast was burnt. When they give you bottled water its always warm and i cant seem to understand that at all seeing its 85 degrees C here. Went to lunch at the Deck again, and had poor service again, with the waiter completely ignoring us anc having to get the hotess for help. Another couple there stated thet had the same problem. Order was completely messed up and the food was just not that good, edible but not good. After a day of sun went to the room to take a nap and realized we hadnt eaten that much because i was hungry and had some time before dinner. Did room service again and order quesadillas and drinks. Forgot our drinks, which was a clear mistake and we understood, but the quesadillas were so soggy fro pm the salsa being on that same plate in not in a separate container. At this point we are feeling what did we pay for??? We opted out of dinner to just listen to music and sleep. More to come in my formal review. I just wanted to give you a taste of whats been happening. So disappointed. If it wasnt for the nice beach i would be at another hotel now.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

Oh and i keep leaving tips of a $2-3 dollars since i been here just because and it just doesnt seem to help the service. I blame this on the poor management of the hotel. We think we should have gone to a hotel with children that had descent service and food

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

I knew about the various areas of the resort needing updating. I am surprised to hear about the service because that was one area that was outstanding in the past. I wonder if they have a lot of new staff members. I did experience an MIA concierge who was never to be found so that part I can relate to.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

PAMichelle. I can deal with rooms that need a little tlc, because mine is actually nice, despite only having 19 channels on a new samsung tv. Its the service thats sorry!!!!! In the hospitality business this will kill you quickly and i think its more of a management issue, because its really really bad. Poor training. I went to Secrets Maroma last year and the facilities were much better and the service was better. I wont be back to royal hideaway. Thank God for the nice beach.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal hideaway disappointment

Sorry to hear this! And yes, I'm the same way - I can overlook a dated room (as long as it's clean) but really can't deal with poor service. There's too many other places to go where the service is impeccable.