We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

Any thoughts on which hotel would be better for a family with two teenage daughters? I want to be able to swim in the water at the beach (!) which I understand can't be done at some places like The Royal Haciendas. I would love to be able to walk into town. I wonder when renovations will be taking place at RPRM (which is noted on one review). Does anyone know? Thanks!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

The very earliest the RPRM will get renos would be 2016, the Playacar is next up starting in April '15 and expected to take about a year.

Beach at both RPM and RPRM are similar as they're within 6 resorts of each other in the gated community of Playacar.

RPM was renovated to Riu's "new look" in Dec '12, RPRM still has the traditional look. RPM is closer to the other Rius for visiting. RPM has a more open room with jacuzzi tub and double sinks open view from the rest of the room while RPRM is traditional with everything in another room.

Some rooms at the RPM come with a curtain between sinks and bed/sitting areas.

Food/drinks/service should be pretty much the same at both. Used to be the pools at RPRM were better but after the renos we really like the 4 pools at the RPM.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

I agree with Bob's comments.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

My sister is going soon to RPM with her hubby and three kids (boy 16, girl 13, boy 10). They reserved two rooms. Is there any way to guarantee rooms with a curtain...at least for the kids room? It will not be a good stay if they don't.

And do they have adjoining rooms?

Yeah yeah yeah, I know everything is based on avail at check-in. But somebody's gotta know somebody there who can possibly preassign their rooms.

I've read some reviews stating like "...we're just a couple and never needed the curtain so we just left it open." That room could have been assigned differently if somebody knew.

Appreciate your help,

SeaBass

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

SeaBass, have your sister contact the resort 1 or 2 weeks before they arrive and ask for curtained rooms. I believe every second one has a curtain. There are no adjoining rooms with a door between them but ask for two next to each other. Palace.mexico@riu.com attn: Ildiko Polger, Sub-Directora. The RPRM does have some adjoining rooms. Ask again at checkin, they know which ones have the curtains. Make sure also she requests the appropriate bed setups. Some rooms have a kingsize bed and others have 2 doubles. You can ask for a single foldup to be brought in.

swami: you not watching the game?

Edited: 02 June 2014, 02:46
Bedford, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

Are these Riu hotels walking distance to town? (I guess 5th ave seems a popular area).

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

25 - 30 minutes from RPM, little less from RPRM. You can walk via the beach or the sidewalk in front of the resorts. We find it takes longer to walk the beach as we keep going into the water for a swim. lol During the summer it can get pretty hot and humid if walking in street clothes so you may want to walk in and taxi back, 70 pesos.

Temecula, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

I am trying to decide on these two myself as PL has a great price on their express deal and I am pretty sure it's either of these resorts.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

Read this with interest since we also had this dilemma eventually opted for Riu Palace Mexico thanks for all the great info Bob - only 18 days to go - hopefully the rain will stop by the time we get there

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

familyplanner222, we stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico in 2009 and 2010 (before the renovations) with our two teenage daughters (15 & 17 in 2009 and 16 & 18 in 2010) and we had a great time. The hotel is right on a wonderful beach. For our second stay in 2010 the hotel had initially put us in two rooms apart from each other. I immediately asked to have two rooms adjacent and they moved us to rooms overlooking the fountains and courtyard on the ground floor. These were not available to us when we booked in the UK.

I doubt you'll be disappointed whichever you choose!

Kevin

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs. Riu Palace Riveria Maya

Bob we had 3 rooms next to each other and none had the curtain. I would like to see what it looks like. The pool area at the RPM is great since the renos and the beach is still great.