We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
576 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Hi,

Has anyone stayed at both these resorts? It is between these two for us. Either a oceanfront preferred suite at SS or a basic junior suite at EDM. They are currently a few hundred apart. SS was coming in less until just now. Go figure

I know the beaches are very different and the resort feels are also very different. We are there for 11 nights and wonder if 3 restaurants at EDM will be sufficient or is it better to goto SS where there are more dining options and a better room category.

I understand wifi is included at SS but there is a charge at EDM which I have no idea what it is.

I would love some feedback

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

I've stayed at both several times. EDM is my favorite resort of all time, Silversands is second.

They really are quite different, I'm not sure that it's fair to try and compare them to each other. It really just depends on what you like/want.

EDM is small, tends to be quiet and laid back. There are activities during the day and night but it's just low key. I wouldn't have an issue with dinner choices for 11 nights because I would be happy eating several things on each menu and/or ordering my favorites more than once, but some people could find this to be an issue. The beach is FAR better a EDM, you can swim in the ocean here. Service is super attentive and accommodating, because it's so small and because that's just how the staff is at this resort. Lovely people, really the best and what keeps me coming back. Know there is no lobby bar, or any bar at all actually (except the two swim up bars). You have drinks at tables set up around the pool areas. Some people like to sit at a bar at night so figured I'd mention it as you can't do that here. Wifi is at an extra charge but should not be a deal breaker. I would say to get a Mi Hotelito room over a jacuzzi jr. suite. Small price difference but much better room location.

Silversands is larger (but not a huge resort) with 8 pools. Service is very good but not at quite the same level of attentiveness as EDM. A Preferred Club oceanfront room is nice, that's a big plus. Really can't do much swimming in the ocean, too many rocks. Wading yes, swimming and bobbing in the waves, not so much. Beach you sit on is fine. More action at SSS, day and night. Great outdoor bar open until 1am, always have lots of fun out there. Live music some nights too. Shows are better at SSS. More restaurants will also be a plus, food is good too. Wifi works well pretty much everywhere.

Really a toss up, I would be happy at either but if it was me, I'd go to EDM as it suits me best, it's what I like. But that's not going to be the case for everyone.

Good luck with this very tough decision! =)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
576 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Beachnickk,

Thanks so much for replying so quick. I'm still stumped. Very hard decision indeed.

I can't find another room option with any Canadian tour operators. I tried other sites and there is either none or they are much more expensive. Booking with the hotel direct is very pricey and then airflights are seperate. I'm not a big swimmer but I would want to at least wade in the water.

I'm having such a tough time deciding and prices keep going up. Time is not on my side.

I love the fact the EDM is quiet and we are not big on being entertained during the day or night. The beach is nicer but do I want to end up looking at a staircase or wall for 11 days? I could almost deal with it if there wasn't this construction I've been hearing about recently.

Are the basic rooms really bad? I don't mind negotiating an upgrade upon arrival but what if there is no room available then we are stuck. At SSS we'd be oceanfront preferred. Not sure what preferred really means though. Do people with preferred need to wear any bracelets? (hate that)

Thanks again

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

You won't need a wristband at all at Secrets.

With an 11 night stay, why not split it up between both resorts? We did a split stay in January and it almost feeks like two vacations in one.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

No wristband at either.

We are just back from trip #4 to EDM and it remains a favorite. We love the beautiful and uncrowded beach and the feeling of privacy at the resort. Staff is always very good.

They are opening a 4th restaurant, Caribbean Grill, in a few weeks.

Have not and would not stay at SSS. The lack of a pretty beach and its reputation as a party hearty resort are huge turnoffs- those are things we avoid when choosing a resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
576 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

caviargal,

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me in the constructions was bothersome? What rooms would we avoid to not be woken early morning? Would you happen to know if they are working on rooms also?

Do you know what the charge is for wifi?

I wonder when the new restaurant will be ready?

Have you been at full capacity? If so is the pool area very congested? It seems rather small

Thanks for your help

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

I have been there when they were close to being full. It never feels crowded. And there are two pools, the main pool and the pool by Bar 24. Actually there are three pools, there is one small one by the jacuzzi jr. suites.

If you book whatever room you can get, you can also e mail the hotel to ask how much more it would be to get a Mi Hotelito room. As I mentioned, the price difference shouldn't be that much - even the hotel itself doesn't charge hardly anything between a jacuzzi jr. suite and a Mi Hotelito room. This is how you can secure the room before arrival, should you want to do that. And honestly, there isn't all that much wrong with a jacuzzi jr. suite either. I prefer Mi Hotelito rooms because of their location but I would happily stay in ANY room there!

Wifi was something like $50-ish for a week (I didn't pay so not sure but that's what I recall).

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Sun, the construction that you have been reading about is the grill CG had mentioned. Since it is opening in a few weeks, the construction will be completed soon. The Jacuzzi suites will not be close to the construction even if you left today so you would not be impacted. Those most impacted are in the 500-800 block of swim up suite rooms.

Wifi is $50 per week.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

And I just checked the sunwing site and they offer all of the main room types (they do not have the beachfront nor garden villas). When are you looking to travel?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Beachnickk and Caviargirl thank you so much for the information. It is very helpful! We are taking our first trip to EDM in early July. We have booked a honeymoon suite. Which building should we request for the best view? Also, very interesting to read that there aren't any bars other than the swim up. Not that we are heavy drinkers, but what do you do when you want a drink and you don't want to get in the pool?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Silversands or El Dorado Maroma

Atlanta, for the best views I would recommend requesting a 4th floor room in the 500 block (the 300 and 400 blocks would give a better view but those are infinity pool suites). There is seating at both bars so you do not have to get in the pool to get a drink (though more at Bar 24 than Sabores). There is also Ricks which is inside that is open from 6 pm to 2 am, it is their lounge of sorts and has appropriate seating, a pool table, foosball table, games and about 4 stools up at the bar. You do not have to get in the pool to get a drink.