We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

Hi!

Going with my family to Playa in January. First time for us in a beach resort or in Mexico for that matter. I am so excited but worry about any of us getting sick from the food. I've read horror stories here about people who have been sick most of their vacation.

What are some precautions that people have taken to ward off any type of stomach problems? Examples like Pepto Bismol tablets each day, avoiding the fruit and vegetables (dont like this one as my daughter and I are big fruit and veggie eaters) etc., only drinking bottled water. etc.

Thx

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

Wash your hands alot more than you normally do, carry the hand sanitizers.

Brush teeth with bottled water.

The CDC recommends Hep A & B & tetanus shots.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

don't worry at all...if it happens it happens...many more people get sick at their local restaurants, but just don't post that info on a forum

don't take pepto as a preventitive and if you are concerned just skip the fruit and salads...we ate salad several days in Cancun w/ no problems

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

Tamsha: You can get sick anywhere. I am sure you and your daughter have actually been sick in your own home. While people will disagree I really believe that a lot of the sickness is due to 1.alcohol comsumption (come on - how many of us really start our normal days with a drink at 10AM and still have one in our hand at midnight?) 2. Sun, heat, and humidity we are not used to 3. Close proximity to thousands of other travels - airport, plane, & resort. (As a rule how many of us during our "normal" day encounter the same people over and over - family, co-workers, occassional grocery store employee etc.)

maryland
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

always remember coconut milk is a natural LAXATIVE

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

A couple of years ago my husband, son and I went to Arizona for our first family (flying destination) vacation. Long story short, I ended up in the ER (after issues out of both ends all night long). At first, I thought I had food poisoning, but the next day my son got it and the day after that, my husband- both not as bad as me. I think that we may have been exposed on the plane, so from now on, (just as a precaution- what can it hurt?) I wipe down our plane area with anti-bacterial wipes and always (did before too) carry hand sanitizer and last time we flew, my husband and I took airborne just as a precaution. I have also read not to drink the water on airplanes. I don't know if that is true, but I always get diet soda with no ice just in case! I have been to Mexico 4 times (Cabo and PV twice each) and have gotten mildly sick 1 out of 4 times. In addition to the above, I make sure that water doesn't get in my mouth during a shower, I avoid dairy products in Mexico such as milk and eggs and I will take pepto and Immodium AD with us just in case. Of course, always wash your hands frequently and before eating and keep yourself hydrated with tons of WATER.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

I have been to Mexico on 5 different trips and have never been sick except for drinking too much cerveza. That's my fault.

But I pay attention to the food. My advice is if the food looks/smells suspicious, then don't eat it. I never eat the scrambled eggs off the buffet. Have the omelet chef prepare eggs for you. I don't drink milk while there but have never had any problem with fruit or vegetables.

And like everybody else said, wash your hands frequently. Use the bottled water to brush your teeth.

Have fun!!!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

We always eat the local yogurt every morning to get the local bacteria in our systems and we never drink out of the glasses used at swim-up bars or beach bars. They're not cleaned or dried properly. We always bring our own cups.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

just remember...you probably don't eat as much fruit at home, so when you devour it there your body is not used to it either...

by all means wash hands often, and carry a hand sanitizer with you!

WJW
Hinckley,Ohio
Level Contributor
526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

No vino blanco!!!!!

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Okay - the truth on how NOT to get sick!

Cerveza

ah...the drink of the gods....