We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Hoping somebody can help me with some queries around the best ways of getting to some of the attractions of the Riviera Maya.

Heading for a 14 night stay at Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar a week today (and mega excited)!

Planning to do a few excursions during that time but not sure I particularly want or need to hand over my money to planned tours/excursions to do some of the things I'm planning on. Read a lot about the Collectivos and ADO buses. Can anyone tell me where the ADO bus station is in PDC? Is there a timetable online?

3 trips I want to do for sure are:

- Akumal (snorkelling with the turtles and at the lagoon) - have read VancouverSunDog's awesome post detailing how to do it all in a day by hiring a golf cart - definitely want to give that a go. I know I can take the collectivo from the highway outside our resort to Akumal. If I took the Iberostar shuttle bus to PDC is there also an ADO bus service that runs to Akumal and back?

Xel Ha - I have read you can buy a ticket and bus transfers from the ADO bus station in PDC? So it sounds like the best thing would be to take a shuttle bus to PDC and then take an ADO bus to/from Xel Ha?

Tulum - is it possible to take an ADO bus to/from Tulum in a similar way to Xel Ha?

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Taxi from Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar to Playa - Ave Benito Juarez & 10 Ave.

ADO www.ado.com.mx/wadod/ConsultaCorrida.tb 72 pesos, nice bus. to Tulum ruins.

They no longer offer free tickets ( ADO ) to Xel Ha or Xcaret. . Of the 2 I would suggest Xcaret, so much more to do. Taxi to Xcaret a lot further to Xel Ha.

Akumal take the collectivo in Playa at Calle 2 & between 15 & 20th Norta about $3.50 US

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

OK, the ADO does not stop in Akumal, so you have to take a taxi or colectivo. I am not sure where your hotel is but if north of PDC then you have to change colectivos there. ADO does stop at Tulum ruins and Tulum pueblo, to get to the beach clubs a cab is needed, no buses or colectivos along the beach road. Not sure about Xel-Ha, the time we went we just drove ourselves in a rental car. Have fun.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Thanks both for your replies! Very helpful.

Our resort is North of PDC, yes. So will probably take our resort's shuttle bus to PDC and then get a collectivo to Akumal.

SavannahBruce - when you say they don't do a free bus to XelHa, I assume you can still pay and take an ADO bus from PDC to XelHa? I think we'll go for XelHa over Xcaret - looking at both XelHa looks more like our type of trip

We are hoping to visit the ruins in Tulum, so sounds like the ADO will be perfect. Our holiday company offers tours to/from Tulum at over 100usd which seems a lot when hopefully we can do the same trip ourselves for a lot less :)

Edited: 09 June 2014, 00:37
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

jrt has the right idea; use the ADO bus every chance I get over the tour companies. The savings alone will buy food, drink, and souvenirs (I even bought a souvenir for me last trip). I also ventured to Coba and Valladolid last trip on ADO. Talk about feeling like you were in Mexico? I can't wait for October to get here. Whatever you do - have a blast doing it jrt!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Thanks JEF G!

Definitely planning on enjoying myself - I'm so excited I can't stop counting down the hours, reading through these forums and monitoring the webcams. Still have 6 days to go so don't know how I'm going to keep my patience! And if I can keep some money in my pocket to do even more amazing things, so much the better.

If anyone can confirm re getting the ADO from PDC to Xel Ha I'd be most grateful.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,506 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

I have a recent picture of the PDC bus schedule showing Xel-ha (plus Xcaret and Xplor) departures at 830 AM and 941 AM.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Brilliant - thanks! Don't suppose you would have any way of easily sharing your photo for my an others' reference? No worries if not - just find the website very hard to navigate in Spanish.

8. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 20:08
Edited: 09 June 2014, 20:08
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

Thanks very much CO_Pilot54.

I've PM'd you with my e-mail. The website you sent looks a lot more helpful than the ado.com.mex site too.

I'm getting error messages when I try and use the search function but will try again later.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ADO Bus queries - Akumal / Xel Ha / Tulum

jrt; best time to use the ADO site is at night or early morning. There are so many users that their site can't handle the traffic. When you find what you want write it down or print for easy reference. If you go by the P;DC ADO station there's usually a lady at the stand alone desk in the middle of the terminal where the buses load. She speaks English.