We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
459 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

I'd love to Scuba dive but never have is this something that is doable? Or is this very risky? Even crazy to think or attempt to do

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

Actually the motorcycle analogy is quite fine, when you're able to interpret it for what it is. It had nothing to do with wearing the proper SCUBA gear.

I'll spell it out, again: Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should* do something.

People *can* ride a motorcycle without protective gear. *Should* they? Not in my book.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

One more thought - if you want to experience what it is like to be underwater, seeing fish, etc. but are not bothered about going particulaly deep, how about SNUBA? You have a regulator in your mouth, just like for SCUBA, but your air tank floats above you on a raft, rather than being attached to you. You also don't have a vest that you have to worry about inflating / deflating, but they do weight you so you can stay underwater comfortably (people tend to float unweighted!) I have done SCUBA a few times, resort courses, and did SNUBA for the first time last month. With SNUBA, if you were to panic, feel suddenly claustrophobic etc, you can come back up to the surface if you need to (as you aren't that deep), I wouldn't say it was risk free (very few things are!) but it was easier, IMO, than snorkelling.

The resort courses for SCUBA I did were very professional, their absolute focus was on safety - as it should be. We spent a lot of time on dry land learning the kit, and in the pool trying it out, so by the time we went out on the boat we were very comfortable, There was 1 dive master with 2 of us, and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe (I used to be an adventure sports instructor, so I have a pretty decent idea when someone is a cowboy!)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

The only Snuba I'm aware of in this region doesn't use a regulator, but an enlarged helmet that covers down to the shoulders. Air is pumped into the helmet.

Many people choose this route.

Here's just one consideration - People sneeze... how often do you think the interior is cleaned?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

hoo boy

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

hoo boy is right. Sorry frank5465, have a great vacation, take the resort discover scuba course and have a great experience. You will love it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

Never seen that - if you look at the SNUBA official website, you will see that that is not the equipment they use / endorse. The equipment shown on this page is exactly what we used last month in Mexico (Puerto Morales).

http://www.snuba.com/snuba-system/

The helmet is called SeaTrek (and possibly other names) - it is not something I have ever done, and it is not something I would want to do - seems very claustrophobic.

"The only Snuba I'm aware of in this region doesn't use a regulator, but an enlarged helmet that covers down to the shoulders. Air is pumped into the helmet.

Many people choose this route.

Here's just one consideration - People sneeze... how often do you think the interior is cleaned?"

37. Re: Scuba Diving ( for someone whom never has)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17