We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental For November vacation...

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental For November vacation...

After 13 all-inclusive vacations we are taking the plunge and renting a condo in Akumal area with another couple. We have never rented a car previously as we have always had transfers included in our package, taken tours sold at the resorts and taxi's every where else. Because we are in a condo this time and will have go to grocery stores for food ect, the issue regarding renting a car is once again coming up for discussion. The bottom line for us is this. We do not carry credit-cards with thousands of dollars in available credit, nor do we have a huge savings account to draw on should something happen to detain us like an accident ect. We use pre-loaded travel visa for all our credit card purchases both at home and here. So, I guess my question is this, do those that have had experience with car rentals feel that the risks of renting, with our situation in mind, are worth it? I also have some anxiety regarding dealing with police/scams as well. Guess Im looking to see if my reservations regarding renting are valid or if I am likely worrying for nothing. I appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 21:40
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

if youre asking would you go wihtout the insurance i think everyone would so NO

seems the horror stories you read about rental crashes invlove people who didnt get the insurance or their insurance they thought they had was invalid.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

I've rented a car and last month my friend rented a car and paid what she asked for my share. Book with a local company (we've both used Easyway) and take all the insurance. Do not speed, IMO what gets most folks in trouble is they try and drive "with the flow of traffic". All well and good in the US but not Mexico where they almost all speed. The condos on Half Moon Bay are lovely, last year we stopped at the Chedraui in Puerto Aventuras, easy to get in and out off Highway 307.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

Not sure why you posted this in the Playa forum

Here is my Car rental car FAQ thread from the Akumal forum

tripadvisor.ca/…48832482

You can also pre-order your groceries from Mayan Groceries (about a 20-25% markup)

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
252 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

We got screwed over by easyway. They used our credit card number to make $7,000 worth of purchases.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

We also had a bad experience with EasyWay. I wouldn't use them again. Next time I'll try Isis because I've heard really good things about them.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

Caribe, just make sure to take ALL THE INSURANCE YOU CAN AFFORD. You must understand that an auto accident in Mexico is a CRIMINAL matter, and not a Civil matter as in the US or Canada. If there is blood, expect to be held until the entire matter (i.e. liability) can be sorted out.

Here is a link to good information on Mexican Rental Car Insurance:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

I am a licensed Insurance Agent / Adjuster from a border state (Texas) with experience in cross-border claims. I am NOT trying to talk you out of renting a car while in Mexico; I just want you to be properly and fully insured just in case.

DO NOT rely on any coverage that a credit card may offer, as this is just reimbursement coverage and will not pay damages there and then. (To the OP, I know you said you use pre-paid debit cards; so no worry about coverage there as I have never heard of them offering any sort of rental car coverage). Safe travels.

Se diviertan!

7. Re: Car Rental For November vacation...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16