We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for birthday

PHILADELPHIA, pa
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for birthday

Looking for a place to eat in Playa for my daughters birthday. Would prefer something with live music, mariachi or show cooking. We used to eat at Ajua Maya but I see that they are now closed.

Mentioned in this post
Ajua Maya
Ajua Maya
59 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for birthday

Ajua was a good place, I ate there once also. It is hard to plan for this as live music can be only on certain days and at certain times. The restaurants are always changing down on 5th Ave. Some of the places that used to be good I don't care for anymore.

My advice is to just wing it. Go down 5th Ave and see what appeals to her, let her choose. This way she can be comfortable with the atmosphere and location. Most have their menus and prices posted. Prices can be a bit less just a block off of 5th Ave also. Our last trip we ate at a couple of places on a whim that we very good. Blue Lobster was excellent as was Carboncitos. Carboncitos was just like Ajua with the drinks on their hear and the awesome Mayan Coffee desert.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 16:31
Mentioned in this post
Blue Lobster
Blue Lobster
1,461 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Carboncitos
Carboncitos
2,608 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for birthday

Didn't Agua Maya move from 4 Calle up to 38th Calle and 5th Avenue?

La Parrilla moved from 8 Calle and 5th to Constituyentes between 1st and 5th Avenue. The Mariachis still come upstairs to entertain.

We had Mexican music piped in to Sur's new restaurant on the corner of 5th and 10 Calle on the 2nd floor. It was loud enough to hear but not obnoxious. Not sure what they could hear on the first floor. This would be a nice place top celebrate a birthday.

Plank is a new restaurant in Playa on 16 bis between 1st and 5th Avenue. A beautiful setting, great food, excellent wait staff. They have music but not live. About 10 of the wait staff get together around your table and sing the Mexican birthday song, Las Mananitas, it's just beautiful. Make sure you tell them someone in your group is having a birthday.

Mentioned in this post
La Parrilla
La Parrilla
43 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for birthday

Old Traveller3, unfortunately Ajua closed about a year & a half ago.......They truly will be missed , they were our neighbors for 9 years & brought a lot of life to our block :(

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for birthday

I'm sorry to hear about Ajua also. We were lucky to have one meal there, and the whole experience was wonderful. I thought they had moved further north on 5th, but I guess that is not the case.

5. Re: Restaurant for birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16