We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's and number of pasengers

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
443 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi's and number of pasengers

Hi all,

I have read that the regular taxi's to and from Playa take up to four passengers per taxi. As there are five adults in our group and other than booking two separate vehicles, I was wondering if there are other options to get us to Playa and back? The bus is not an option as our resort (OGX) is too far away from the highway. Can you hire/book larger taxi's and what type of price are we looking at here for a return journey?

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

No taxi is going to accommodate 5 adults safely or comfortably. You have a couple of options.

A - hire two taxi's

B - add this transportation to the same company who you hire for your airport transfers. (assuming you hired one)

In most cases it will be cheaper for the transportation company to do the transfer for you, email them in advance for a quote.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,007 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

You can hire two taxis and , if given a little notice, most resorts will have a taxi van there for you. Most taxi drivers strictly enforce the 4 passenger rule. And many are so small, I don't like more than 3 adults.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,992 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

And the larger taxi vans usually charge double the price for a normal taxi

Liverpool
Level Contributor
443 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

Thanks. The two taxi option may be the best and most economic option. I was kind of hoping that, like in some other destinations, there were the provision of the 'people carrier' sized vehicles. This is my first time staying in Playa, so still learning.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

We were a group of five and were able to negotiate with a taxi van.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
443 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

annoncapecod, How did you book it? Did it pick you up and drop you back up from your hotel?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

You can get them to and from your hotel but we found them more expensive. We walked across the highway from our hotel (Palladium) where a bunch of taxis were gathered and negotiated round trips. We also negotiated a one way taxi van from Akumal.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
443 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

Good to know you can book from hotel. Picking up from highway is not an option for ourselves. Many thanks again.

9. Re: Taxi's and number of pasengers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 06:16