We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Hello! Looking at going to PDC to celebrate our 40th's (how can that be)?? I haven't been since 2008 (with my husband). Any safety concerns or updates we should be aware of as traveling as a group of women? Looking at staying at the Grande Mayan just outside of downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Grand Mayan is about a 20-25 minute drive to Playa del Carmen. Have you stayed there before? Gated entrance, very safe feel. Only issues of safety in my opinion is over drinking anywhere, whether it be at your resort or in town.

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Riviera Maya
The Grand Mayan at...
4,167 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Well lit "busy" streets are best. Don't go trying any shortcuts up dark streets (remember Batman?) and avoid walking the beach at night. Have a Blast girls!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Keep an eye on your drinks, stick together, and have fun. Keep your situational awareness up.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

I've been to PDC on a girls trip and again last year with my Mom. No worries. I never had a moment of unrest. Have a blast.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Yes, I've been to PDC twice (with my husband both times and another couple), but not since 2008. We stayed at the Mayan Palace once (next to the Grand Mayan). I don't mind the location. Thanks everyone, so far!

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Riviera Maya
The Grand Mayan at...
4,167 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

I'm heavily debating a solo trip this Fall to PDC and have zero concerns about safety. I took early morning walks everyday on our trip last year....the only issue I had was not bringing enough money to eat at some of the restaurants that were slowly opening up as I walked along. Evenings were fine except for the drunk tourists that didn't know which way was up but that was funny, not stressful!

As long as you practice common safety sense you should be fine!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

Common sense for sure! Thank you!

8. Re: 40th birthday celebration- all girls- safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:17