We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Currency vs Pesos

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
US Currency vs Pesos

This will be my first time vacationing in Mexico should I tip the resort staff and make purchases in US Currency or should I use pesos?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

Pesos - you will lose 20-30% using dollars as some places (taxis especially) will give a lousy exchange rate, like 10-1.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

If you are buying items use pesos. I do buy pesos and use them for tips, but you don't have to. The staff gladly will accept USD. I try to use pesos except for my purchases at the airport when leaving, single malt scotches.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

Just have to say, a simple search will find 100's of thousands of post of this question, something that gets discussed ad nauseam.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

It's the last time I am ever going to say this, when ever you travel abroad always use the local currency, people will always accept dollars, sterling, euro's etc, because they rip you off

United States
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

Pesos. Exchange more than you think you will need before you go. Then you can save them for the next trip. I totally take all pesos, have back/up USD and a credit and debit card which I never use but have in case of an emergency.

Make sure to call your bank before you leave so they will let you use your dc/cc in Mexico. Takes 5 minutes. You will be glad you made that call!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

Thanks everyone...

7. Re: US Currency vs Pesos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:17