We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruins-

Kingston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ruins-

Hi, We're heading back to Playa del Carmen and this time I get to pick some of the activities. I want to see some of the ruins I'm trying to decide between Coba and Ek-Balam, they both seem to be very highly rated, any thoughts? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruins-

We loved Coba. We had a private tour booked (yourprivatetours)and went early before all the big tour companies arrived, it was amazing. You can still climb on some of the ruins there which my husband loved. Lots of shade because your in a jungle area, unlike Chichen Itza (we loved Chichen Itza too). They have Mayan taxi's there( bike taxi) so you can get a ride and stop when you want to check something out, great way to get around in the heat.

We enjoy seeing all the history that Mexico has to offer, enjoy.

Kingston...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruins-

Thank you!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
301 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruins-

If you have time, do both!

United States
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruins-

How long are you going to be in the Mayan? We went last March and were there for a week during spring break. We saw lots of ruins. It takes a bit of strategy to see certain ones grouped together. Can make for a short or long day depending on what you want to see, where they are located, and how much time you spend at each ruin. We used Yukatreks. Fabulous company... and it was a private tour.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruins-

For those on a budget or those who want to save some serious money to spend on souvenirs or food (or my fav; drinks) take the ADO and skip all that tour expense. You won't be on their timetable you will be on yours. Go early. Bottled water in the freezer the night before. Sunscreen. Bugspray. Early bus no matter which one you go to. Either open around 8am. The earlier you go the better crowd wise and temperature. The ADO will take you to Coba and it's just a short walk (1/2 mile) to the ruins. Ex Balam is a different story. Take the ADO to Valladolid (great place to visit after the ruins) and talk to a cab driver or collectivo to get to Ex Balam. Last time I went I got a cab driver to run me up, he came back in two hours when I asked him to, then run me back to Valladolid for $300peso. Just an idea; have a Blast!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruins-

If I had never visited a Maya ruin before in my life, I'd probably pick Cobá over Ek Balam. It's a shorter trip from Playa. It has all the elements of your average Maya ruin -- ballcourt, ceremonial spaces, pyramids, elaborate carving.

If this is your first ruin, I recommend hiring a guide. The nice thing about Cobá is that the guide only walks you around an area that is pretty compact. Then you are left on your own to explore the rest of the site, which covers several square kilometers.

If you're an active individual -- healthy and physically fit -- you will enjoy both sites more than the average joe. At Cobá, rent bicycles to wheel from one set of ruins to the next, terminating at the big pyramid which is a fun climb and a terrific view. At Ek Balam there is a cenote (sink hole) where you can swim, although I've never done it.

Have a great trip!

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruins-

And at Coba you can rent a bicycle guy (seat in front for two) that takes you around the site. Some of these guys speak enough English to accomodate where you want to go and some of them are very knowledgeable about the ruins. You do not say when you are going but on average these bike guys are a great deal. Just walk up to them and say "anyone speak English?" look at their faces and you will know which one to pick.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ruins-

Some how go to Chichen Itza & Coba.. Private tour, regular tour, by car. ADO takes much longer and does not go to Ek Balam where you can climb the pyramid. Coba, Chehen Itza & Ek Balam are all inland & are most likely going to be very hot & humid so drink plenty of water. Coba is OK but not much there other then then climbing the pyramid, the tallest in the area. How about this climb at Coba.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/16c43/e9c3e/

Pages on CI, Tulum & other areas on my VT pages

9. Re: Ruins-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17