We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand sunset princess

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand sunset princess

I'd like to start off and say that Riviera maya is a beautiful place. We went to tulum and xel-ha and that trip was amazing. We swam and snorkeled with manatees and this was well worth the price we paid. The team at xel-ha was wonderful and the manatee encounter was spectacular. As for the sunset princess, we arrived at 4:00 and we're told we need to make our dinner reservations for certain restaurants. We were then told that there were no openings for two days. We did get to eat at miso and fondue eventually. Keep in mind your choices here are limited. Each time we ate at one of the restaurants with reservations we then went to the buffet to eat as we did not enjoy the limited selections. Next, and is is the most important part. The whole trip we were approached by employees who ask you when you arrived. They then try to get you to come to a breakfast where they try to sell you on a timeshare plan. They will tell you that you receive 100.00 toward a spa treatment or coupons to the gift shop. This changes each time they talk to you. One person told us 50.00 another told us 140.00. The main point I making is that during our whole stay we were constantly being given a pressured sales pitch by people at the resort. By the end of the week, we were avoiding talking to anyone. The wait staff were very courteous and kind. We enjoyed them very well. All in all the trip was beautiful. However, when you pay to stay at a resort like this you shouldn't have to be afraid to talk to the employees because they will take another 20 minutes of your time trying to sell you on a breakfast that ultimately is just another timeshare ploy. Shame on you Princess. We will not be returning.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 01:53
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,860 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand sunset princess

Sorry Dave you had a poor experience at the resort but glad you enjoyed Tulum and Xel-Ha

There is so much more to see , especially if you want to get off the beaten path and explore more

Definitely try other resorts or hotels - I like the smaller more personal resorts or non AI hotels myself

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand sunset princess

Most resorts have people selling timeshares, so maybe the Mexican AI vacation is not for you. Ironically enough we just returned today from a 7 day stay and I was approached only once. We went Platinum and at that level there is a concierge that will book the AI's all week for you when you arrive. It is a bit more, but if that is important for you, like it is to me, it's worth the extra cost. There are some other perks like a larger room, pool bar with drink service, bar with premium liquor, better loungers, room service & others. GSP was not perfect but you could defiantly tell the AI Sales people from the regular employees.

Here's to safe & fun travels on your next trip.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand sunset princess

I wonder if this is something new at the Princess. We have been there December 2012, March 2013, and October 2013 but were never bothered by timeshare sales. Once some guy from Congo Bongas ? tried selling us a day pass, but security took care of him. Mostly it was the spa people and the locals selling on the beach.

I was pleasantly surprised at not having to deal with the timeshare people. Oh well, they won't hang around me much, they get my message pretty quick. Walk away you are not chained to stand there and waste your vacation time!

We just booked the new Princess Adults only sister resort for December.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand sunset princess

Can you tell me how the beach/water was? Lots of seaweed? Stones on the bottom of the ocean?

Thanks,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand sunset princess

Beach/Sand was very nice. The water was pretty clear, but there are rocks where you would normally enter. If you move to the right, you'll see where there are less rocks and I recommend entering there. The water temperature is perfect. Its actually very shallow almost all the way you can swim out.

Cheers

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand sunset princess

Thats interesting...princess hasnt been a timeshare place. Maybe they are timesharing the new addition?

St Louis Mo
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand sunset princess

We were there end of May. We never had a problem making reservations. We told the timeshare people no thanks and never heard from them again.had a great time.No time share they just want you to vacation at a Princess resort. It's obvious you never just said no but led them to believe you were interested.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 22:50
ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand sunset princess

BillStLouisMo Exactly what did thiese people ask you? Were they trying to sell you a timeshare or just trying to sell you a vacation ? I am curious as we have never encountered them.

The OP is refering to the Princess as a timeshare property.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 00:23
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand sunset princess

It seemed like the classic time share pitch. Come have breakfast with us, give us 90 mins and you'll get a 100 credit voucher. They always say its not a time share, which makes me believe its a time share. But like Bill said, I said no once and wasn't really bothered again. They would still try to get my attention ever once in a while, but I just continue to walk. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

New York
Level Contributor
372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand sunset princess

We were there in Feb and never encountered anyone selling anything. ???