We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

I want to book a trip to Tulum and maybe also Coba and like the look of Exploratours and Yukatreks.

Exploratours do a trip which includes Tulum, Coba, Playa Paraiso and a visit to a mayan village, with a one and half hour stop in both Tulum and Coba.

Could someone who has been to either of these sites tell me if an hour and a half is long enough or would we be better doing 2 separate trips and spending longer at each place?

Thanks. xxx

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

On my last trip to Coba I spend 2.5 hours there and I am fast. See report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k37121…

I would do it on my own. You go at your pace. No time constraints. Coba is easy enough to do on your own and Tulum is even easier.

United States
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

We did Coba in the morning and Tulum in the afternoon in one day. Had a fantastic Yukatan buffet lunch as well. Snacks and drinks provided along the way. We had a private tour with Yukatreks. Very knowledgeable about the ruins and we were on our own time schedule. Loved it.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 18:03
Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

We did a tour that began in Tulum. Then we had a beach break at Tulum for an hour. Then we went to lunch. The next stop was Coba with the last stop being a Mayan Village.

It was a long but fun day. We booked the tour through our hotel. They picked us up at 7am. We arrived back at the hotel around 6pm. It was the highlight of our trip

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

Adrienne, the tour u did sounds the same as the one I was thinking about. How long did u spend in Tulum and Coba and was it long enough?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
245 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

We did not book a tour. We took the ADO bus from PDC to Tulum one day, and took the ADO from PDC to Coba the next. ADO buses are cheap and very comfortable. While you are in Tulum and Coba, you can have a taxi drive you to one of the nearby Cenotes. We went to Tankach-Ha in Coba. There are a number of ADO buses traveling from Tulum to PDC. Only one bus leaves Coba each day, and that is at 3 PM so you do have to plan ahead. Otherwise our day was slow paced and unstructured. There may be a benefit to tour companies, but I am not a fan. I loved the ADO bus so much, I am considering doing an extensive Yucatan and Ruins tour on the bus next year.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 21:21
Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

For me it was long enough at both destinations. We had time with the tour guide then time to explore on our own. I do not remember how long we were at each sight but I do remember not feeling rushed at all. After the guided tour of Tulum we could walk around more or walk to the beach. Some stayed at Tulum, some walked down the road to the beach. Same thing at Coba. There was a guided portion of the tour, then time to explore on your own.

The only thing I didn't like was lunch. They dropped off about 8 van loads of people at the same time. The line for food was long. Most was gone by the time we finally reached the buffet stations. Nothing but rice/beans a few pieces of fruit. They tried their best to accommodate us. The restaurant gave us two tacos with shredded pork. Not what the buffet had but it was food. I wanted to try the Mayan Buffet but people over loaded their plates and the food ran out by the time we arrived.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

Eric has the right idea. Do each on a different day especially depending on what time of year it is so you don't get washed out. Last October there were two buses leaving Coba the day I went up there. One was around 1pm the other at 3pm. The ADO girl at the counter where the buses board speaks English and can help you with this. I went early in the morning and was glad to see the 1pm bus. I think 3pm would have been too late for my tastes. Whatever you do; have a Blast!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

You can take the ADO bus to Coba and a taxi back to Tulum then a colectivo or bus back...or taxi all the way.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

Nikki, not sure if you know but when they say the ADO bus it's not like buses we have here in the UK it's more akin to a national express coach. We used it when we went from Puerto del Carmen to cancun, they are great

Apologies if you knew that.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone been to Tulum and/or Coba???

I recommend visiting these two ruins on separate days. Take either the ADO or colectivo to Tulum. Make sure to take your towel so you can swim at the beach below the ruins. It is very refreshing to swim below the ruins. We hired a driver to take us to Coba and a cenote. Coba is great. Go early.

You should also plan for a trip to Akumal to snorkel with turtles.