We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bartlesville...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

we are excited to be going next week. We were wondering, what are the black wrist bands for? What do they get you? Does anyone know if the "pick your own room" software is now working on the website?

Any ideas about good food that's not on the room service menu? Thanks in advance.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

Shelly - I'm not sure what the black wristbands are for, I know they have different colors for the 16-17 year old kids as well as for the owners/members. Not sure about the status of the online checkin either, my best advice is to email the resort with preferred locations just in case.

As far as the room service menu, we enjoyed some really good flank steak nachos that aren't on the menu. My husband ordered a cheese plate one night but I didn't have any of it, he said it was as good as a standard cheese plate can get. I'm drawing a blank as to what else we ordered that wasn't on the menu since room service orders were usually our "it's been a late night and we've had one too many margs" snack.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

When we stayed there were three different wristbands. If I remember correctly, clear color for first timers, black for repeat guests and gold for timeshare owners. It was our first time and we had black bands. When we asked why, we were told that preferred travel agents clients get a black band. That being said, we saw no difference in the service because of the color of your wristband.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

what is on the room service menu? Breakfast, Lunch,Dinner? What can you get? Can you get wine to the room? thankis

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

What is on the room service menu. It is 24 hours a day. It is your typical room service menu. Eggs, bread, fruits and cereal for breakfast. Lunch/Dinner you have sandwiches, pasta dishes, steak and chicken. Not sure about wine but you can get bottles of sparkling wine delivered to your room. I get two a day. One in the morning for mimosa's and another one while getting ready for dinner after a day in the sun. I have it with a cheese plate and strawberries. I have to agree with Kelli's husband nothing to brag about, but do get the nachos!!! If there is something you want, ask for it!!! All they can say is yes or no!

I love wine but the wine at the Royal is terrible unless you want to purchase a bottle. But for some reason I like their sparkling wine maybe because it reminds me of drinking wine coolers when I was 16.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

We ordered room service to the sitting area outside of our room (333) one afternoon. Nachos, wings and wine for 4. A nice memory. I don't think you ever hear "no" at RPDC.

Motown
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

You should checkout playa.info and read pamski6 Royal trip report. Great report with lots of great pics and descriptions of the food. Have fun!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

Endorphine- they have a breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as late night room service menu. The breafast menu was really close to the Pelicano's breakfast menu.

My husband reminded me that he was craving some soup and a grilled chicken sandwich, I'm not sure if they were even on the menu because he just called while laying in bed and asked for both of those things and got them.

I agree with Shrry H...you rarely hear the word "no" while staying there. And yes playa.info has several great trip reports from RPDC.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

Playa info?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/ Another discussion board with lots of locals on it.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 18:51
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have a few questions about the Royal Playa del Carmen

We usually had our lunch on the balcony of our swim up room. Great fish, sandwiches and spaghetti plates. We had a bottle of red wine in our room. Every day we left the paper for the bar guy to fill us up wi what we wanted...red or white wine, of even sparkling white wine. Just ask for what you want. We also had mimosa delivered with our lunch.

Great service. We totally enjoyed this place.