We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Vancouver
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

We are leaving for playa del carmen in one week! We still have one empty day to fill. I am looking for good scenery spots to photograph, hoping to find the best crystal blue water to photograph. Looking at the pictures, playa norte on isla mujeres looks very beautiful, but as cozumel is closer to PDC, I am wondering if the water quality is similar in cozumel.

We will also be visiting Tulum as well.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

I have the same dilemma(including the photography) , but I'm leaning toward Isla Mujeres because its so beautiful and colorful, and not just the water, but the rocks, buildings and the cemetery. I'm also looking forward to all the fresh seafood.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

I love Isla. Punts Sur on the south end offers great photograph opportunities. Of course, you can't beat Playa Norte! The beach at Tulum is great. The water clarity is good at Akumal. If you enjoy taking pictures then Akumal should be on your list.

My only problem with going to Isla is that one day doesn't really give you time to explore the island. If you decide to visit, head out very early.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Woohoo super fast replies thanks :)

Isla mujeres it is then! We have a day set aside for akumal and Yao ku, looking forward to taking pics of turtles!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

id hit cozumel myself. its much quicker to get there so you spend more of your day exploring/seeing rather than traveling. although the ferry ride over to isla is nice and north beach is nice too. i think youd get more out of trip to cozumel.

take the yellow/blue ferry over and sit on the top deck taking in the scene as well as the band that plays up there. once on cozumel, either rent a vw bug from isis for 45$ for the day, or if youre not comfortable driving, hire a cab for the day ($100), and tour the island, especially the east shore. water is beautiful there. cant really swim in it in most places along the east. but you can on the west side....stop at the money bar and go snorkeling there. beautiful water there.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 04:31
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Ching-wa on isla Mujeres , ,great photos at Punta Sur, use a cab 80 to 100 pesos, ruinas. clifftops, big green rollers coming in from the direction of Cuba. Bring a few bits of food like pineapple for the iguanas that live just under the lookout at this spot. Hike the paved trails along the ocean below the cliffs.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Another vote for Isla. One of the best spots for photos is also the lookout overlooking Garrafon Park. Isla is spectacular!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Another vote for Isla. For photography, there’s so many opportunities...the cemeteries (one in centro and one on the eastern side about ½ way down the island), Punta Sur (at the path that takes you to Acantilado Restaurant, look to the left..it’s very small structure and if it’s open go inside and check out the information plaques and photos on the wall..interesting), the lookout of Garrafon, mentioned above, is beautiful, the eastern malecon in centro is my favourite etc.

Check out the following site if you’re interested...I love these photos:

http://photoisla.smugmug.com/

Agree that one day isn’t really enough (my first trip to the island was from PDC...it was suppose to only be a day trip but turned into a 2 day 1 night as I found so much stuff I wanted to do/see) and also agree, go early. If I was doing a day trip from PDC I’d leave early..I’d want to be on the 8am or 8:30am ferry at the latest.

Have a great trip!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will print them out and take them with me. I read that the last boat is 5pm, but when I checked the Ultramar website, it looks like they sail all evening. Is this the ferry to take? But I guess driving back to PDC in the dark might be not very safe.

We will go very early then!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

HI ching_wa...on the site check out the times for Puerto Juarez to Isla Mujeres..that's the one that comes back til later at night. Do you have a rental vehicle or other transporation? I've never driven so I can't comment - I don't think it's unsafe but let's see what others out here say. If you are leaving the driving up to someone else, I wouldn't worry about being in the dark..just get yourself to the mainland before the last ferry unless you want to stop the night on the island. Have a wonderful time.

See if this works

granpuerto.com.mx/en/…

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip ideas from PDC-- cozumel or isla mujeres

Puerto Juarez ferries run late, it is the ones to the Hotel Zone in Cancun that stop about 5pm. Since you are coming from PDC, it makes no sense to take a HZ ferry, out of your way. There is a parking garage at Puerto Juarez.