We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

We Will be staying at Ocean Maya RoyLe in 2 weeks! Will my Verizon I Phone and my internet device work there? Also how much would a taxi ride from OMR to Playa Del Carmen cost? Is it a safe town to explore, shop etc.? Do I need to exchange money or will American $$$ be accepted? Are there reliable ATMs? Thanks for information ahead of time. I have never been to this area and don't know what to expect but I'm certainly anxious to find out!!

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

I can help with a couple of the questions. Downtown Playa del Carmen is safe, we have been there 6 times and have never had an issue. Just stay in the main area of 5th ave, lots of restaurants, shops and a nice beach area to hang out. The ferry going to Cozumel is also located there.

American dollars are accepted in most place in PDC but you will get more for your money if you exchange them for peso's. Most resorts we have stayed at will exchange money for you at the front desk. You may get a better exchange rate in town but I like the convenience of exchanging it a little at a time at our resort. Whatever is more convenient for you will be fine, like I said most places do take US dollars but you may get change in peso's. In fact the tour we booked ahead of time (localquickies.com) asked us for American dollars to pay for our tour.

Have a great trip, we love PDC and will be there next week.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 03:30
Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

Your Verizon iPhone will work great in Playa del Carmen. You could end up wishing it didn't though!

International roaming rates are very high, and iPhones are infamous for using lots of data even when you're not aware of it. People have ended up with thousand-dollar-plus bills for a week of international iPhone use.

Verizon may still have a North America Roaming Plan that gives you much better roaming rates. You would need to sign up for it in advance and you should check whether it includes DATA roaming since most such plans only include voice and possibly text roaming.

An alternative is to ensure that your SIM slot is unlocked and on arrival get a Telcel Amigo SIM. They are inexpensive to buy and to use and a perfectly adequate data plan is not very expensive. Since it's prepaid, you can't end up with a shocking bill down the road - if you go nuts on calls or data, you'll simply use up all your airtime credit and need to get more.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

I will tackle a couple for you too. Mark S is so right about a Telcel Amigo SIM. Def your best bet there.

Since you are new here is your peso conversion lesson of the short and sweet variety. The peso varies worse than barrels of oil but for our example the easiest way to convert (in your head quickly) is that a 100 peso note is worth $8.00USD. Use a multiplier of 8 for peso to USD; thus a 500 peso note is 40 bucks. By the way; many places in town (cabs, vendors, cart food, etc.) may not have change for such a large note like a 500 so when you convert your money keep it to 100 or 200 peso notes. Likewise; when you convert USD to pesos then use a multiplier of 12. Thus, $20USD (times 12) is 240 pesos, etc.

Whatever you do; have a Blast!

Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

And this is why I love Tripadvisor! I hadn't even thought about the expense! I'm going to check into a SIM card for sure. Thanks again! A thousand dollar phone bill would certainly zap the joy out of my vacation!

miami beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

They have a more everything plan. I think that's that it is called. You can add international for $15 for the month. I did this the last two times I went to Mexico as unfortunately I have to do business when I am away. Texting iPhone to iPhone did not cost me anything but anyone who doesn't have an iPhone uses fb msg to email with me.

Definitely call Verizon and they will help you. Our plan was outdated so we had to change plans; turns out the new plan is much less monthly!

You will also be told to turn off your cellular data I believe so you will only link to the wifi at your resort. Means you don't have it when off the resort, but that is what vacation is for!! Otherwise your phone will start trying to connect to wifi all over and you will have a huge bill.

Don't take everything I am telling you to do as exact, but call verizon. I have no charges from texts to iPhones and people were still able to call me.

They will tell you everything to do.

6. Re: Questions about Phone / internet &Taxi cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:16