We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

So every time we go on a vacation I do a lot of research before we book. Well this time I didn't have time so I just skimmed few reviews and booked Riu Playacar. I booked it because few people said that it has a nice beach which is very important to us. Now, after booking I read more and more reviews. It seems like Riu Playacar is not as good as other Rius. Is that true? Are rooms really that bad and outdated? How long is the walk to other Rius? Is the beach crowded? How is the food and drinks? What should I expect? Any tips or advices are welcome.

Make me feel better people lol I feel like I made a mistake. I always book resorts for our groups and they trust me. This time we paid the most because we booked it 4 weeks in advance and I hope we get our moneys worth.

New Braunfels TX
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

I think that you are worrying for nothing. I have not stayed there but I have been there and its not a bad choice plus you have the other facilities to use. How much time do you really expect to stay in the room???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

I don't care about the room but some people in our group can be picky. Me and my husband just want the room to be clean. My kids nap during the day so I will probably be on the balcony enjoying cup of coffee and reading a book (i never get to do that at home haha)

I forgot to ask is there room service?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

rooms are clean and so is the resort. all the riu's use the same beach. you can walk for miles in either direction. even into playa. within a 5 minute walk to the other riu's. small shopping center with a starbucks almost across the street. bring lots of $1 or $5 for tips.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

The Playacar is a nice resort, like ambernicole27 haven't stayed there but have visited many times. I think you'll find the rooms, and the whole resort, very clean just maybe needing refurbishing. It had a recent paint job because we were next to it in March and the outside walls were sparkling clean. It's scheduled for a total knockdown and rebuild starting Apr 1 and will be closed for a year. Pool is great, beach is fantastic, food and beverages are like at the other non-palaces. very good with lots of variety. Liquor - ask for specific brand otherwise you'll get the bottom end. But that's the case in most AI's. There is no room service, you have to stay at a Riu Palace for that, and you'll have to wander to the bar to get drinks. No big deal. You can also get your coffee from the bar/lounge during the day, no coffee pots in the rooms. Again only the Palaces have them.

There are only 2 resorts between you and the Riu Yucatan and the Tequila is across the street from the Yucatan. 5-10 minute walk by beach or sidewalk. And there's a nice shopping plaza across the street from the Playacar.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

I think that if you aren't there to party in the extreme, and you have kids --- you probably picked the best RIU. I have not stayed there, but we stayed at the Yucatan, and we met people who stayed at the Playacar. They walked down to the Yucatan almost every day, because it was more of a party. It's a short walk down the beach. But for your group will that be necessary? Oh, you may want to check it out -- but I think you'll prefer your more quiet, not as rowdy resort.

I'm sure the food and drinks at the Playacar, Yucatan, and Tequila are all the same. How old are your kids? You may want to walk over to the Tequila, at some point, and check out their pools, just for a change of scenery and something different for the kids to do, depending on ages. But they might be just as happy to stay at the Playacar, and your beach there should be awesome.

I wouldn't worry.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

Thank you guysss :))) I feel better now.

We might walk to other resorts before/after dinner but during the day we will probably stick to Playacar. We do not want to party for sure. My kids are 2 and almost 6 months.

I wish there was a coffee pot in the room :(...I guess I can always grab a cup at the bar somewhere. No biggie.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

I think it all depends on where you've been before...what you're comparing to...

I was there a few years back and it's not the highest class, say like a Riu Palace - those 2 are of course night and day. It's a small resort, everything's close. Food is good like at all Rius, beach is very very nice. Yes, it needs refurbishing, but it's clean. Like I said, depends on what you're used to, if you're used to a Palace you may not like it, but if you're used to average resorts you will be just fine. And the beach there is really nice, so it may offset the other stuff you may not like.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
313 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

I went to Riu Playacar after visiting Riu Palace Mexico. I much prefer the warm old Mexican look of the Playacar. The glitz, glamour and granite at the Palace were simply too intimidating. For the same number of nights, I saved almost $500. The food was truly wonderful-- I didn't need the a la cartes at all. Great service with a smile, lovely fruity drinks. My room was immaculate, and had this wonderful fragrance that lingered for weeks :o) Perhaps it could use a new bedspread, but the bed was comfy and the A/C nice and cold. I honestly expected a concrete slab, and was pleasantly surprised. This October I am booking the Tequila, but will be spending my days at Playacar's gorgeous beach. I think you're going to love it!

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

Stayed there twice and have yet to find an A.I that matches in food quality and selection. Great grounds, pool, beach,service and entertainment

Two Rivers...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Playacar...make me feel better please

We stayed at the Playacar a few Christmases ago, after the hotel we originally booked scr***** us over. We loved the place! The beach is absolutely phenomenal! Pools were nice, food was good, and resort was wonderfully clean and pretty. Yes, the rooms are older, but not a deal breaker older. There is no room service or waiter service on the beach, but we could live with that. I think you need to relax and enjoy the anticipation of the trip rather than second guessing yourself! Have a great time!