We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

It looks like Mahekal is gearing itself up to go after the luxury traveler with pricing to match. After many years of enjoying Mahekal it's starting to look like I may never be back. So sad, as I will miss the location, the fab beach, and the amazing staff...truely a paradise lost. Unfortunately the $300 per night price(for a basic room) will keep me away. Any suggestions on where to go now? Is there anything, like what the Mahekal used to be, out there?

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

That is sad news. It's a gem. They are going to have to do some big renovations to get that price point. New linens and drapes won't cut it. Not when I can stay at the Royal Hideaway for the same price.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

Ya, that's my thought as well. As great as the Mahekal is(or has been) the price no longer provides any value. The $300+ per night price puts them into a new league of competition.

Austin
Level Contributor
251 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

I am very sorry to hear this. They will lose a lot faithful guests. I knew it in the old days.

The increasing popularity of Lafitte (owned by two Lubcke brothers) and KaiLuum encouraged a third Lubcke brother (Adolfo) to venture into the resort business. In 1987 he constructed a dining room and 12 simple cabanas a couple kilometers north of the Playa del Carmen ferry dock. He called it Shangri-la Caribe. No one imagined that this Shangri-la, way out in the jungle, would end up within the city limits of Playa del Carmen one day! Then there was the sale of Shangri-La Caribe...........and now this. Oh well. At least it wasn't bulldozed like Capitan Lafitte.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
264 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

That is really a shame, but I am not at all surprised, given its prime beachfront location, which very few properties can match.

We have stayed at Mahekal several times and really loved it, and are staying at Las Palapas next week.

My guess is that once Las Palapas undergoes its planned renovation after the Mahekal one is complete, we'll be looking at similar prices there as well.

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

Did a walk thru last may and really liked it. But over 300 a night in peak season and that only includes 2 meals and no drinks.

6. Re: Mahekal Beach Resort - Paradise Lost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:17